Is this normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Took a peak at the wheat beer I did last weekend.... primary has just about finished and the cryzon has dissipated leaving this.

View attachment IMG_0836.jpg

Is this that infection I hear people speak of? Or am I just being stupid?

Nice! Other than missing OG by about a country mile, forgetting the bitter orange peel AND the the corriander seeds.... Maybe, it'll be an okay beer. But it's likely to come in at around 4% and probably be pretty bland.

Looks good. Personally leaving out the coriander is a good thing. I find it overpowers the beer. You could always boil some orange for 5mins, let it col and strain. Buy some spray malt so if you are below target in future you can top it up.

So.. I've just checked it on the refractometer. It's sitting at 1017.. which seems pretty high. Do you think it's stuck?

I missed OG by a country mile, and started at 1039 (was meant to be 1046). So if it's done all it can, it's good for the drain. You think I should give it a mix up and see if the yeast will kick back off?

It's only been in the primary since Monday. But there's no more activity.

So.. I've just checked it on the refractometer. It's sitting at 1017.. which seems pretty high. Do you think it's stuck?

I missed OG by a country mile, and started at 1039 (was meant to be 1046). So if it's done all it can, it's good for the drain. You think I should give it a mix up and see if the yeast will kick back off?

Keep ya mit's off it:lol:

Its only been in the FV for four days ffs! How do you know its finished? Why are you thinking of dumping it so early on :doh:.
My advice is keep the lid on and forget all about it for two weeks and then take a reading and decide what to do with it.

Asking the question just to be sure. Are you adjusting the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol?

Asking the question just to be sure. Are you adjusting the refractometer reading for the presence of alcohol?

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.. so I’m gonna go with no! Lol. Should I do something special? First time I’ve used a refractomer! [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:-) Have a look here. - https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/ it's a bit confusing, and to get it totally accurate you need to do a bunch of small tests to calibrate your refractometer.

Alcohol affects the reading of a refractometer making it read artificially high. I've not used one myself but done a bit of research as I want one to allow for quicker readings during brew day and not needing 50 - 100 mls per sample during fermenatation, which is especially annoying if doing a 1 gallon batch of mead.

Assuming no correction factor I plugged your figures of 1.039 (9.75 brix) and 1.017 (4.25 brix) into the 2nd calculator and it comes out as an adjusted FG of 1.008 and 4.13%, which is 79.5% apparent attenuation and pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Leave the yeast to do its work.

Most of my wheats have had a pretty vigorous fermentation, but I've had a couple of other types - notably my saison - which fermented slowly but steadily. In the case of the saison it went from 1.044 to 1.020 in five days but eventually finished at 1.002 after another 10 days.

Nice! Other than missing OG by about a country mile, forgetting the bitter orange peel AND the the corriander seeds.... Maybe, it'll be an okay beer. But it's likely to come in at around 4% and probably be pretty bland.

Try making a simple list of what you're going to do in order..............and I hope you're not drinking whilst brewing young man. It's far too serious a business to cloud it with alcohol.:grin:

:-) Have a look here. - https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/ it's a bit confusing, and to get it totally accurate you need to do a bunch of small tests to calibrate your refractometer.

Alcohol affects the reading of a refractometer making it read artificially high. I've not used one myself but done a bit of research as I want one to allow for quicker readings during brew day and not needing 50 - 100 mls per sample during fermenatation, which is especially annoying if doing a 1 gallon batch of mead.

Assuming no correction factor I plugged your figures of 1.039 (9.75 brix) and 1.017 (4.25 brix) into the 2nd calculator and it comes out as an adjusted FG of 1.008 and 4.13%, which is 79.5% apparent attenuation and pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information, I'm going to need to read it properly to digest it. All the recipes I've seen talk about IG, so Brix is just something else to confuse things. And that calculator seems to only work in Brix.

Try making a simple list of what you're going to do in order..............and I hope you're not drinking whilst brewing young man. It's far too serious a business to cloud it with alcohol.:grin:

I must do the list, that's sensible. A bit too sensible for me, but I'll have a play at being a grown up for a bit. Drinking while brewing? That's the only reason I brew! A sober brew day is..... well I don't know what it is! It's never happened lol.

Surely you need a hydrometer reading as the alcohol will skew the refractometer reading? You can get a true gravity then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Surely you need a hydrometer reading as the alcohol will skew the refractometer reading? You can get a true gravity then.

Sorry, didn’t read page two!

Maybe your refractometer is out.
I got one from eBay and the readings are way out compared to my hydrometer

Latest posts

Back