Home Brew Competition - September 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To save me looking it out what sizes/how many bottles are we accepting now for the comps?

May send in my Duckling Pale Ale but it's in 330mls.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This month's entrants.

Think I will stagger judging over this week, as 8pints in a night will have me in the doghouse...

Best of luck gents looking forward to them!

20171002_172938.jpg

This month's entrants.

Think I will stagger judging over this week, as 8pints in a night will have me in the doghouse...

Best of luck gents looking forward to them!

May I request that you leave mine to late in the judging given that it came out darker than planned and is still pretty young.

Gentlemen, thank you very very much for the honour of judging this month's competition, I have enjoyed 8 incredible beers that I would happily pay money for and would be pleased to replicate.

Using StrangeSteve's score sheet there was only 8 points separating the 8 entries (if including a late entry with a penalty deduction). The quality of entries was excellent, again THANK YOU, will try and post the videos of my initial taste tests and feedback of all the bottles tomorrow.

Maybe controversially for American Pale Ales....

1st - @Dads_Ale - Black APA
2nd - @MickDundee - Common People, cali common
3rd - @Spapro - Mongrel Pale Ale

T-4th 3 entries!

I'm chuffed with that, especially considering it's only been in the bottle for less than 3 weeks!

First ever competition I have ever entered any brew into so well pleased to receive a 3rd place.

Will need to look up the shedule for coming months so can brew something relevant for a future comp.

Thanks wfr42 and will look forward to some more detailed feedback, including any constructive areas for improvement.

Oh, and well done to all who entered, I'm sure the quality levels were high across the board.

Over the moon to have gone and won :cheers:

A big thanks to wfr42 for judging and congrats to all the other entrants.

Think there is a trend here as I believe JFB won the IPA category in Oct 16 with a BIPA :)

I will put the recipe up in the next few days.

Feedback sent - if you need anything expanded drop me a line, will try and get the initial taste vids upload either later tonight or before the weekend.

Cheers all - was a great field of entries!

Well done all, I'm going to have to try and find time to pop around @Dads_Ale pub shed again for a drop of this one:party:

Feedback sent - if you need anything expanded drop me a line, will try and get the initial taste vids upload either later tonight or before the weekend.

Cheers all - was a great field of entries!

Thanks for the feedback. Been giddy as a kid at christmas haha

Over the moon to have gone and won :cheers:

A big thanks to wfr42 for judging and congrats to all the other entrants.

Think there is a trend here as I believe JFB won the IPA category in Oct 16 with a BIPA :)

I will put the recipe up in the next few days.
Well done!

Loving the video feedback. Not something I would have the confidence to do but a great watch! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji482]

Hi Guys

Here is the recipe for the Black APA.
This is the fourth iteration of this beer. The original was good but not quite black enough. So I increased the cold steep length for brew 2 and the amount of cold steep grains for brew 3. I found with both of these although black enough the roast malt harshness was a bit too much. So for this brew I substituted Midnight Wheat for the original Cara3 (I read somewhere that MW produced a less 'oily' beer than Cara3) in the mash and the late sparge addition and reverted to the original steep time and amount. This worked a treat and I got the level of blackness I wanted with the dark malts not becoming overpowering.

The final volume was 40 litres so you will need to adjust quantities for your brew length.

Mash tun (66c)
Pale Malt 6.5kg
Midnight Wheat - 250g
Wheat Malt - 1200g

Cold steep for 30 mins 100g of Cara 3 (added to boil)

100g of Midnight Wheat added to top of mash bed during sparging.

Boil
Challenger (pellet) - 15g - 60mins

Amarillo (pellet) 20g - 15mins
Citra (pellet) 20g - 15mins
Mosaic (pellet) - 20g - 15mins
Irish moss - 5g - 15mins

0mins and 20min steep and whirlpool
Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic - 40g each

Yeast - Safale US05

Dry hop (think was about 2 days)
Amarillo - 65g
Citra - 27g