Festival old Suffolk strong Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Started this kit at the beginning of December

Looks to be promising - and from what I have read about all other Festival kits I should not be surprised

Its now conditioning in the barrel and will update the topic once its being drunk :-)

Just started drinking this - even though it is still a little young

Nice rich darkish ale - decent strength too

Good amount of hops both in flavour and nose

Am sure this will continue improving as it goes

Just put mine on yesterday. Airlock was active after about 6 hours which is a record in my books. I've found these festival kits to be among the best I've brewed, but they do take a long time in the FV.

How long was yours in for?

Hi Maffa

I left mine in the PV for 2 weeks then moved it to the FV for another 2 weeks then barrelled

Have left in now since end Nov-ish

Still think it needs a few more weeks conditioning - nothing wrong with it now but think it will improve further

I did mine pretty much as per the instructions, 5 days, added the hops, then left it for another 9 days, which gave me a nice healthy 6.2% abv. I bottled it on the 18/11/13, and it's gradually getting better, definitely one for the long haul. I do love these Festival kit's though, always make a nice drop of beer!

I think this is one for me to add to list of brews-to-do, so please keep the post updated with it as it progresses.

The photos of the kit look like it uses foil pouches instead of the usual cans for the malt extract. If that is correct, is it hard to get all of the contents out of the pouch?

I usually rinse my cans with the boiling water to make sure i leave nothing behind, but I cant imagine doing that with a pouch without burning myself and spilling it all over the floor...!
:wha:

Maysie said:
The photos of the kit look like it uses foil pouches instead of the usual cans for the malt extract. If that is correct, is it hard to get all of the contents out of the pouch?

It is correct, although the shape of the pouches mean they stand up relatively easily and can thus be filled with hot water, albeit more carefully than you would with cans!

GavH said:
Maysie said:

It is correct, although the shape of the pouches mean they stand up relatively easily and can thus be filled with hot water, albeit more carefully than you would with cans!

agreed, its not ideal but doable. I've scolded a few fingers making Festival kits, but no pain no gain :lol:

Just put the empty bag inside a saucepan, then fill. The saucepan will support the bag when it is full. Just make sure the saucepan is a reasonably snug fit round the bag. :thumb:
:cheers:

I am at best a bit 'awkward', some may even go as far as to say clumsy.
I see burnt fingers and malt mess on the floor coming..... :hmm:

Thanks for the advice!

I have done the Suffolk Strong Ale and the Pilgrim's Hope ... I have not had brilliant results with either of them ... but I suspect that my overly hard water could be leaching too much bitterness out of the hops and spoiling the beer. The Suffolk has huge bitterness, to the point of it tasting like wormwood ... and not being particularly pleasant too drink. disappointed.

This was my last kit. It was ok but not half as good as the festival stag summer ale. :cheers:

Got one of these kits bubbling away.Really impressed by the kit contents.Smells great.Gonna try and leave it in Primary for 14 days to clear before bottling.Can't rack as I have a bag of priming sugar to batch prime ( only have a single second f.v.) 1st time for a batch prime should be interestin'

Cheers

My third attempt at brewing have just put this 8 to fv airlock very active after only a few hours have it on a brew belt at constant 22 degree.

Will keep posted.
I intend to put it into a different fv at day 5 when I add the hops any views on this ?

19 for me. 22 ok though.
If I do this kit again I honestly wouldn't add the dry hops. Didn't seem to suit the beer but that's just my personal taste??

Brewed this on 12/03 and bottled on 27/03 reckon I got a 5.5% ABV. This only went in the cold a couple of days ago but is already going fast.Lovely strong malty and bitter flavour.Still a bit green and too hoppy for me.Mebbe only half the hop pellets next time.Although if I could be more patient this may mellow out.
I know IPA is all the rage and all the emphasis seems to be on the Festival Razorback IPA. But this is great, right up my Strasse!! Have stashed away 6 bottles for a 6 month tester but already know that they will be lucky to last another month.
Really impressive kit.Im gonna get a couple of these on the go pronto I like it that much.
Highly recommended:clap:

Just put this into the keg with the priming sugar, it didn't have as big a yeast cake at the landlord best bitter , it also didn't have the homebrew yeast smell about it ! Hope it's ok , well we will see in a months time .

Yes I know it has only been in secondary fermentation for 6 days but I had to try it .
Not clear of course yet but, I would be happy to pay for the taste it's fantastic , no homebrew yeast smell about it just a really nice drink.
I plan to try a half pint every week till its clear .
Must get another festival beer kit on the go, I'm thinking landlords best bitter again brewed short to 15 Lt to make it a tad stronger .

Back