Poured with nitro?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
I *assume* that this is poured with a nitro mix based on the head??

If so, I need this in my life.

Shipyards Pale Ale in spoons.

hhhhh.jpg

I have a kegerator so switching over to mix isn't a problem (once I find a source for mixed bottles).

I have this obsession with head (pardon the pun).

it's the 70% nitrogen 30% CO2 mix that is used for Guinness, John Smiths smooth etc. Quite easy to get hold of and use if you have kegs and like to wait half an hour for your beer to settle before you drink it.
Try Adams Gas - £12 for 2litres + £25 deposit for the bottle.

Last edited:
For those that don't have a keg system, Tap-A-Draft seems about the cheapest way to get a nitro pour.

They are 5L fizzy drink containers, similar to a normal cola bottle. You prime as normal and then connect the Tap-a-draft system to force pour the beer a bit like a pressure keg system. When you use an 8gm nitrogen bulb it supposedly will pour a creamy head.

I'm in NI and gas is hard to come by. I heard you need a different regulator?

Stout is my tipple of choice, I've 2 on atm. I'd love to produce something like a Guinness and why I considered the Tap-a-Draft.

I'm from N.Ireland but over in Edinburgh but not really got the space for extra fridges, kegs, gas etc..
Might check it out on You Tube and see what it's like. I too am a stout fan and always alternate a between stout and ???.
This would work nicely in my fermenting fridge after a brew had been finished and mean I could bottle a few and stick the rest into one of these! Interesting!

I have a couple of tap-a-drafts, bought second one as I have slightly damaged the first one. They now come for use with one 16g CO2 bulb so you can't mix CO2 and Nitrogen anymore. Tap a drafts are also out of stock everywhere with no sign of them coming back, so I'm beginning to wonder if it has been discontinued. I've been trying to get a spare tap. Leylend no longer do them I have spoken to them.

I know someone (forget what member) adapted a 16g holder to accept 8gm bulbs. I wonder if someone with a 3d printer could make an insert that would work not just with these but with mini kegs?

As I don't own a tap-a-draft or a mini keg tap (although I own some mini kegs) I'm not sure what is required but it would turn a mini keg into a nitro pourer?

I have 16g nitrogen bulbs. I naturally carbed the beer and then poured with No2 but result was a crazy head. I got the bulbs online, can't remember where but it was a place selling those cream dispensers that use No2.

I have the website I got the nitrogen chargers from. They sell both 8 & 16g. Would post a link but not sure if that breaks the rules of this website. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll send the link.

I think you are getting confused with nitrous oxide which is laughing gas. A mate put one on a keg by mistake and had a massive head and a terrible headache

hi brewers,i read some where the nitro/co2 mix is used in creamflow beers,john smiths smooth/creamflow,ect.
also in widget cans.it will not support beers/larger over 4%.the nitro will go in the beer but will not push it out,
30% co2 is used to push it out.my local pub changed from hand pump to gas assist,the beer was drinkable,but weak.
had 2 pints,went home for some homebrew. just sayin :-?

I have the website I got the nitrogen chargers from. They sell both 8 & 16g. Would post a link but not sure if that breaks the rules of this website. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll send the link.

Link away. It only breaks the rules is you're the seller. Then it's a case of becoming a forum sponsor if you wanted to promote your stuff here

Back