What tap is best for king keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a king keg with standard drum tap but have heard that this type of tap produces alot of foam and can release too much gas. So if i was to replace the tap with an alternative what would you use? Just looking at my lhbs website i have seen a quickserve tap off an economy pressure barrel and a brewgas sparkler tap. Has anyone tried either of these with a king keg top tap? Are there any others that i could look into?

Thanks for the help guys :thumb:

There was a suggestion, on another thread, to use the stem from a turkey baster on the drum tap to reduce the foaming problem, I've not tried it yet, but a couple of folk appeared to think it was a good idea.

I'm interested in the concept that they use too much gas, mainly because I thought that the gas could only expand as the beer came out the tap, with the foam being CO2 that was absorbed into the beer?

yeh ive read about that aswell, i was interested to see if anyone had experience using either a quickserve type tap or a sparkler/ dalex type tap. To see if its worth replacing it. I like the look of the sparkler tap but ive heard it can get clogged alot? Didnt think that would happen with a float system but i dont want to spend 15 quid on one if its going to get clogged

Sorry to be stupid but im not sure what you mean, is that an adaption to the tap or a different type of tap?

mmaguy41 said:
Sorry to be stupid but im not sure what you mean, is that an adaption to the tap or a different type of tap?

A ball valve is a different type of tap.

The drum taps have a 'drum' that rises up and down in the hole, a ball valve has a ball with a hole though it, the ball is rotated 90 degrees to align the hole with the fluid, then back to turn the flow off.

Place I work for makes them, but too big to be any good for home brew :(

I tried replacing the drum tap, my brother describes it as a binary tap I.e it's either closed or fully open, spraying beer every where!

Tried to fit a budget barrel quick serve but there isn't much thread inside for the nut to grip. It initially seemed OK but as soon as any pressure builds it started to leak every where! Avoid.

Here's my solution, use one of these on the tap and it gives you enough leverage to modulate the flow. Can pour a decent pint that way.
5adad1bc-ba9b-d84f.jpg

My lhbs sell the brewgas sparkler tap for about 15 quid, think i will try that option and see how it goes

I've got 2 of them,used them for a couple of brews.Well happy with them.They don't feel as sturdy as the dalex but they are head & shoulders above the drum taps. Much easier to take apart for cleaning as well.Had no issues with clogging so far & can pour a proper pint pretty much every time.

evanvine said:
Have now fitted all three KKs, at least they match!

P1020418.jpg

I'm not looking to invoke panic our owt, but youu do know that two of the three are empty, don't you?? :shock:

BTW, what are the valves you've used? Looking at the prices for the sparklet equipped stuff I'm open to suggestions that don't involve a turkey baster ;) :)

That looks like a pretty fancy setup, my girlfriend would murder me if i did that in our kitchen

Love the design. Needs some work on co-ordinated drip trays though ;)

I am sure I read somewhere that metal, apart from Stainless Steel, should not come into contact with fermented liquids. Is this advise just meant for FV's and the like?

If so I may try a similar design for my kegs. Note I say similar design, purely in the interest of avoiding Royalties on the original design :whistle:

Latest posts

Back