Base malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogermort

Regular.
Reaction score
I got all excited about Geterbrewed's Irish Ale Malt. I'd read some good reviews of it and at just £19 a sack it looked an absolute bargain.
It's shown on their website as currently out of stock so rather than jump in and pay £30 for my usual Maris Otter, I thought I'd give them a call and find out when it was likely to be back in stock. The bad news is that it isn't. Apparently they are now working much more closely with Crisp and as a consequence the cheap ale and lager malts are no longer available. They do have some Irish Stout Malt available at the bargain price but I'd struggle to get through 25 kilos of that.
So, given that I'm now looking at between £27 and £33 per sack plus shipping, do any other forum users have recommendations on where to get malt bargains?
I tend to brew pale ales and bitters.

That's a bummer:twisted:
I went to order some pale and lager malt the other week but out of stock.Got some stout malt instead.Have used it in a brew,mixed with the pale so will see how it fares.By all accounts it's not JUST for stout.

Had to Google that one, never heard it called Stout Malt before. Lightly kilned propino. I think I'm using something similar although Muntons call it Extra Pale Propino. I like it so far, expecially when using speciality gains and adjuncts, as you can go quite daring knowing that there is enough diastatic power to convert. Also as it's low colour it stops things going too brown when adding crystal and/or Munich.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Had to Google that one, never heard it called Stout Malt before. Lightly kilned propino. I think I'm using something similar although Muntons call it Extra Pale Propino. I like it so far, expecially when using speciality gains and adjuncts, as you can go quite daring knowing that there is enough diastatic power to convert. Also as it's low colour it stops things going too brown when adding crystal and/or Munich.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Yup
think i will order some more up before that goes for a burton!

Such a shame because that malt really boosted effiency. Plus the price was amazing. My custome will go back to homebrew company.

Sort it out @get_er_brew

Looks like GEB have lost me as a customer and HBC have gained me. I bought a 25kg sack of the irish pale malt for �£17.10 from GEB. It'll last me for a while yet but I'll be buying some the HBC irish malt when it comes to my next 25kg sack

Do think this is the same and as good as Maris Otter?

I would say it's probably as good as MO but wont give you quite the same flavour. MO has more malty, biscuity, bready flavour. What you can do (which is what i do) is add some biscuit or amber malt. You could add a bit of some munich or even melanoidin malt too

I lived in Ireland for a bit and used both HBC and GEB, I went off HBC because they sold me some tubing which didn't fit my system, despite asking them in person whether it would fit a 1/2" barb. They refused to refund me and said it was my problem not theirs. Whenever there's been an issue with GEB they've resolved it really well.

I am amazed how cheap they can do it for, when I was buying crisp best pale malt trade I would have been paying £16.74 25Kg if VAT was added (its not if your a registered brewery) and it would only go down to £15 if I bought a ton. I suspect they are selling at or close to cost in the hope you buy a load of expensive hops or something at the same time.

Back