1st WOW - Red Grape, Apple, Watermelon & Raspberry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thought i'd drop in and mention this WOW variant I have on the go. First time trying this method, but seems pretty good so far!

All 100% juices bought from I think Sainsburys but might have been tesco!

1100g total sugars, 308g from the juice,

1/2 tsp Pectolase
2 tbsp Jif lemon
1 tsp glycerine
1 cup strong tea
1 L Red Grape Juice
2L* Apple, Watermelon & Raspberry Juice
1 L water
820g granulated sugar
Wineworks general purpose wine yeast

*1L of this saved in fridge to top up with once fermentation settled down.

Put this on 02/10, stabilized yesterday 28/10 at SG 0.900 (didnt take an initial reading but calculated based on the sugars to be about 1.080), racked off today onto a crushed campden tab to degas before fining.

Initial taste seems quite good, the melon surprisingly quite a prominent flavour.

Juices were about £1.20 a litre, so total cost about £4 a gallon

I have just bought 2 Demijons from Wilko today and I went to Morrisons got 4 Ltd of grape, apple and raspberry juice, 1 litre of apple juice, 1 litre of pomegranate, 1 litre of raspberry juice, and 2 litres of red grape juice., so I have put 2 litres of GAR in to each dj, with 1/2 litre of raspberry juice & 1/2 a litre of apple juice in one, 1/2 a litre of apple juice & 1/2 a litre of pomegranate in the other, both have a reading of 1050. So need to work out how much sugar needed, I take it I need a litre of water in each too? Just to complicate things I have made another in a bucket of 2 litre red grape with 1/2 litre pomegranate and 1/2 litre raspberry, so same thing required here. I have seen a ratio chart somewhere and cannot think where.
Do I also need more apple juice than I have put in ? Being a novice I have jumped in with both feet lol.

Im only a novice at this myself, but I started with 3L total in a DJ, plus the bit of water used to make the yeast starter. I got a guide of 1100g of sugar total from somewhere, think from one of Chippy Teas wow recipes, so used the sugar content marked on the juice packets to work out how much was from the juice and so how much to add. Once the fermentation had settled down a bit so I wasnt at risk of it all escaping up the airlock, I used my spare litre of juice to top up.

I might have added a bit more water than I listed, but anyway, I sort of started with 3-3.5L in the DJ, roughly to the start of the shoulder, and then topped it up with juice until just reaching the neck.

Im in the process of clearing it now, just added part A finings

Good luck mate, I just put 380gm of sugar in each vessel, so we will wait in anticipation and if the kitchen is red in colour I know something is wrong lol, as it is white at the moment.

Well, I bottled this one yesterday. Its rather good. I thought the watermelon flavour might be a bit overpowering but it seems to have mellowed.

I took a 100ml sample to try, put it this way - my mum had half the sample and could barely think afterwards! :lol: Its rather strong!

My 1st efforts have come out reddish which is ok, but my red grape, pomegranate, raspberry wow I put 1/2 a litre of ribeana juice in and it's nice n dark, I put the finings in Saturday, and all 3 are clear also a lot of sediment at the bottom, need to re decant so can bottle later in the week, as you say these are rather strong though, have I put too much sugar in at the beginning?

I didnt bother taking any readings on this one, but sugar at start was ok i think. My mums not the biggest drinker! But then, I drank the rest of the sample and decided no more since I had to drive a few hours later!

Well they were all bottled up, there is one that tastes very watery, the one with pome rasp extra I put blacurrent juice in it @nd I find it really nice but not strong at all, I will do some more this weekend with blueberry juice and red grape juice, will keep you up dated.

Ive had to force myself to not drink a couple of bottles of the RGJ, apple, melon and raspberry!

The RGJ and Cherry is due for me to test today!

Back