How do you store your Demijohns when not in use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit9660

Reaction score
I collected a load of free brewing equipment courtesy of the local freecycle group yesterday, which was nice. I now have the problem of trying to store 8 demijohns. It's not a huge amount, but it is a large number but I don't have room for. At the moment they're on the floor of the garage, which is busy, so they will be broken at some point. I'm short on wall space so a shelf is out of the question.
I thought of putting some hooks in the ceiling, passing a length of dowel through their handles and hang them on the hooks. The trouble with that is that the wind will blow them together when I open the vehicle door. Ditto with string and hooks.
Has anyone got a clever/novel way of storing their demijohns between use please?

I thought of putting some hooks in the ceiling, passing a length of dowel through their handles and hang them on the hooks. The trouble with that is that the wind will blow them together when I open the vehicle door.

Hi!
Put holes in rectangular pieces of corrugated card and hang them between demijohns - that will cushion them when they blow together.

Get 8 cup hooks and screw them into the ceiling far enough apart so the DJ's hanging on each do not touch.

images

On the garage floor, same as OP.

One day I hope to clear the place up and maybe get a car in there.........unlikely though.....

ATM mine are on a shelf, but I'm preparing to rebuild the work bench in my garage, and under one end I'm putting in an insulated compartment that I can keep them in, full or empty, and keep the temps up for the ferments I need to be warm but don't need to keep cool - my ciders, washes, and cases of bottles still carbing up. That's going to free up the space I have them in now for more bulk grain storage! :)

I once made the mistake of storing a freshly washed demijon on the garage floor at the beginning of winter and when the residual water settled in the bottom it froze, so when I picked it up in the spring the bottom fell off probably due to freezing water expanding causing it to crack....Lesson learned there.

Back