Degassing Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a 30 bottle batch of Wine Buddy Merlot on Nov 13th OG 1086......on the 24th I added the final kit ingredients with the wine at 996......
This will give it approx 1 month before xmas to try and improve. When would be best time to degass?
Would it be better leaving in the FV for say anothet 2 weeks then bottling for 2 before xmas or bottling it now giving it 1 month in bottle. Which would give best result?

Hi!
Rack into your bottling bucket, degas and then bottle now. Winebuddy kits have "ageing ingredients" - you are supposed to be able to drink the wine as soon as it is bottled, although a one month rest won't do it any harm.
I've just bottled a Winebuddy Merlot kit and SWMBO is supping it already.
One tip - I've got one of those Vacu-Vin gizmos with rubber stoppers to seal bottles of wine that are half-consumed. They are great for degassing in the bottle if the final wine still has a bit of a fizzy taste.

image.jpeg

Once.racked into the bottling.bucket do u recommend a good old stir and if so for how long?
Or a shaped plastic coat hanger on the end of an electric drill. Again for how long and in one or both directions?

Hi!
I have a degassing wand, but the bent coat hanger works well. No more than 10 seconds in each direction or you may be beating oxygen into the wine. How long? Until you are bored, I suppose.
As I hinted in the previous post, the Merlot that I just bottled has a gassy texture in the mouth, despite the degassing, so I'm applying the Vacu-Vin to each bottle.
The last Winebuddy kit that I bottled had no gassiness, but the wine stood for a couple of months in plastic demijohns (empty water bottles) which is meant to speed the ageing process and then a couple of months more in glass demijohns.
I can't say that the wine was significantly better for all the "faff", but it wasn't gassy.

I haven't made the WB merlot but have often made the WB Sav Blanc & Chardonnay which advise to add wine enhancer then stabiliser, degass, and add finings parts 1, 2 & 3 an hour apart, i doubt ageing it is going to make much difference as these are not the best quality kits out there.

How to make a degassing wand - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48971

Back