Muntons barley wine *help*

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

On: 02/12/17
Original gravity was 1070

08/12/17
Gravity reading is 1032

And the temperature has been between 19-21c

The kit says it take 6 days Im not seeing much activity on the air lock now and I took a taster of the gravity reading I took it's very sweet can any tell me what gravity I should be aiming for with barley wine I not quite sure if I need barley wine to get to 1010 and below or is it different altogether

The sugar I used was caster 1.5kg

Id say 6 days is long enough to ferment a 1.070 brew out. You need to wait till at least 14 days. Then take a reading.

At the moment your attenuation is at 53%. You probably want around 75% (perhaps more. I've never brewed a barley wine), which means your looking at a gravity of 1.017.

How much yeast was in the kit and how many L is the brew? I've got a sneaky suspicion muntons may not have put enough yeast kit

Id say 6 days is long enough to ferment a 1.070 brew out. You need to wait till at least 14 days. Then take a reading.

At the moment your attenuation is at 53%. You probably want around 75% (perhaps more. I've never brewed a barley wine), which means your looking at a gravity of 1.017.

How much yeast was in the kit and how many L is the brew? I've got a sneaky suspicion muntons may not have put enough yeast kit
+1 on that
I would forget about it for another four days then take another reading, it may have gone down, and if it has leave it another four days. But if it eventually turns out to be 'stuck' try this
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations

Thanks for the reply's the air locks stopped completely now...

Kit: Muntons Premium Barley Wine Kit

The kit consisted of
1.5kg Malt Extract
Package of yeast (don't know the weight)
I added 1.5kg caster sugar
I added 13Litres of water (24 Pint Kit)

I'll leave it for four more days and report my reading on here then

Regarding there not being enough yeast in the kit is there something I can do the rectify this at this stage of ferment ? Also there not being enough is this a problem lots of kits have ? If so when can I get quality yeast for future kits and would I pitch both the kit yeast with a quality brough yeast ?

Latest posts

Back