What AG shall i brew this weekend?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equinox101

Reaction score
I'm thinking of pulling together some of the ingredients i've got laying around to do an impromptu AG brew with a few spare hours on saturday.
Just looking for some ideas as it's been a long week.
I could always do a quick dash to the local HBS in the morning if i need any other grains. Here's what I've got at the moment.

Grains

wheat - 500g
Pilsner malt - 2.5kg
Wheat flakes - 500g
Munich - 500g
Oat husks - 500g
Maris Otter - 4kg
Black malt - 400g
Chocolate malt - 500g
Crystal - 1kg
Terrified wheat - 1kg Argh

Hops

Northern brewer - 100g
Mount hood - 100g
Cascade - 100g

Yeasts

Safale US05
Safale S04
WL WLP300 Hefewiezen ale
WL WLP400 Belgian Wit ale
Brewferm wheat yeast
Safbrew S33
SafbrewWB06

I'm thinking i'll leave the chocolate and dark malts out for the next one, just thought i'd add them to the list incase someone had an amazing idea to add them to the mix.

I did come across this which i thought was a bit of a curveball:-
http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...of-the-week-passionfruit-mango-wildfire-wheat
But don't know which yeast i could sub for it. also thinking i could sub the rice hulls for the oat husks? Or is that just crazy. Gives me time to order some puree in the week.

Or something like an orange/coriander pale ale?

you're quite low on hops...I'd either go for a wheat beer with 50/50 pilsner and wheat malts, NB or Mt Hood hops at 60 or 90 mins and none else. WLP400 or Brewferm wheat.

or just a cascade smash with pilsner malt and us-05 :) maybe some crystal if you want.

RobWalker said:
you're quite low on hops...I'd either go for a wheat beer with 50/50 pilsner and wheat malts, NB or Mt Hood hops at 60 or 90 mins and none else. WLP400 or Brewferm wheat.

or just a cascade smash with pilsner malt and us-05 :) maybe some crystal if you want.

Nothing near the end of boil? I'll definately have to use the WL in the brew. 50/50 with the pilsner and wheat malts sounds good.

pittsy said:
or a belgian wit , you have most of the ingredients , some saaz would be best though , and i love wlp 400

First time i will have used WL been looking forward to it thought after everything i've read. I've just opened the fridge to see a use by of November 2012 so i'm definitely doing this brew tomorrow. How much Saaz, might call for a 9am trip to Doncaster to the HBS. Anything i can do to give it a little twist without going to crazy?

jonnymorris said:
No idea but...
Equinox101 said:
Terrified wheat - 1kg Argh
:lol:

sorry i apologise :cheers:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.6 EBC) Grain 1 40.0 %
1.05 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 2 21.0 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 20.0 %
0.50 kg Pale Ale (Crisp) (5.0 EBC) Grain 4 10.0 %
0.45 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 5 9.0 %
30.00 g Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 8.7 IBUs
30.00 g Saaz [3.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 3.2 IBUs
25.00 g Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
5.00 g Coriander Seed (Boil 1.0 mins) Spice 9 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

That was my last batch , i used what i had , i would add less orange to 20g and add 10g of corri too

Great thanks, ill pick up some saaz and coriander seeds in the morning, I have some curaçao peel already :cheers:

Back