Glass Vs Plastic ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willycoolj

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all , I'm thinking about buying some brown glass bottles, do you think there's a difference between them and the plastic pet ones in the taste ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glass every time,those pet bottles some times dont carb up and i hate beer in plastic, i have a pair of waterford crystal beer glasses and its a luxury to drink a cold beer from them. i know were to get bottles at £12 for 40 and new plastic stacking crates are £8 each that hold 20 bottles, if your interested let me know.

I prefer glass but use pet bottles as carb testers. pet may not your best bet for long term beer conditioning and you can't zap the bottles in the oven like you can with glass. Plus I love capping a beer bottle :lol: screwing the lid on my pet carb testers isn't the same.

but they're safer and lighter to post and it is fun to give the bottles a squeeze to see if they've carbed up :twisted:

Here's a question, why aren't beers being sold in 500ml pet bottles?

I haven't noticed any real difference between them other than weight for transportation and storage of bottles empty and full. I wouldn't be drinking homebrew from the bottle due to the sediment :sick: Where do you get your bottles from Tanzanite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer glass but use pet bottles as carb testers. pet may not your best bet for long term beer conditioning and you can't zap the bottles in the oven like you can with glass. Pluts I love capping a beer bottle :lol: screwing the lid on my pet carb testers isn't the same.

but they're safer and lighter to post and it is fun to give the bottles a squeeze to see if they've carbed up :twisted:

Here's a question, why aren't beers being sold in 500ml pet bottles?
Keg Kingdom sell cap-able Oxybar PET bottles:
http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collections/bottles/products/pet-crown-cap-beer-bottles

I've bought or used them but they look interesting!

Glass swingtops are the best but i have some plastic swing tops i still use. Dont like the pet bottles, hard to carb them up. I have broken around 6 cheap glass bottles in the last week when capping and thats so annoying. Lost 2 bottles of my Punk IPA clone, raging waste of beer.

I haven't noticed any real difference between them other than weight for transportation and storage of bottles empty and full. I wouldn't be drinking homebrew from the bottle due to the sediment :sick: Where do you get your bottles from Tanzanite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from discount homebrew in doncaster his names gary, 07912 383861

Both glass and PET are fine. I use both, a few swing tops and large PET bottles. I don't know where the idea that PET bottles don't hold their carbonation comes from, I have not had any problems whatsoever, and I keep beer in PET sometimes for months. However if anyone has any first hand actual experience of this, it would be useful to share.

....i know were to get bottles at �£12 for 40 and new plastic stacking crates are �£8 each that hold 20 bottles, if your interested let me know.
Tanzanite, is this Gary's shop you are referring to in your later post?

http://discount-homebrew.com/product/beer-bottles-x-40/

They are listed at £15 for 40 - still a good price. At £12 for 40, have you negotiated a special price?

yes thats the one give him a call he has the same bottles cheaper , talk to him ask him about used bottles there washed clean sound . say that Steve from Nottingham told you , i go and pick mine up . he a sound guy he will do his best for you, and those better brew kits are very good.

When you next see him tell him to do an offer on the crate which hold 20 used bottles with the bottles. £8.50 per crate that holds 20 looks good, if he did the used bottles in those crates at the price you said, so 2 crates and 40 bottles for £29 + delivery he could well have a winner.

yes thats the one give him a call he has the same bottles cheaper , talk to him ask him about used bottles there washed clean sound . say that Steve from Nottingham told you , i go and pick mine up . he a sound guy he will do his best for you, and those better brew kits are very good.

Response to an email I sent a short while ago:
-------------------
The £12 for 40 was some surplus brand bottles that we bought at the right price as a one off from a brewery. Our usual stock brand new bottles are £16.00 per 40 (the price has unfortunately just gone up by £1) and these are the ones on our website.
We also stock quality used beer bottles (all clean and de-labelled) in sets of 40 at £11.00 per 40.

Hope that helps

GARY
Discount Homebrew
07912 383861

When you next see him tell him to do an offer on the crate which hold 20 used bottles with the bottles. �£8.50 per crate that holds 20 looks good, if he did the used bottles in those crates at the price you said, so 2 crates and 40 bottles for �£29 + delivery he could well have a winner.

if you take 40 used bottles and 2 crates thats £28 +delivery !!:thumb:

I use mainly Coopers PET and recycled fizzy water bottles and I flatly deny [With the greatest respect, I'm sure we all mean this as a conversation not an argument] that they're hard to carb up. I've never had one, not a single one out of hundreds and hundreds, that didn't go properly. The whole reason people use them as testers is that they're so good at showing whether the batch is carbed right.

Or that they lose carbonation, I have batches that run six months to a year and they're just as well gassed at the end.

I have to say that I never have issues with coopers pet bottles, also started brewing with normal pet clear bottles and they were good, used those a good 8 times and no problems,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back