Invert Sugar for Coffee Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuggledPrune

Reaction score
Quite new to the idea of making invert sugar. I've done a bit of reading but just want to check my understanding.

Cane sugar is best.
Just need some citric acid and boil it up for between 20mins and 2hours. The longer you boil it the darker it will be....

So as I'm making coffee wine, which I plan to fortify does it make sense that I want it to be quite dark? My only reason is my preference for Brown sugar in coffee haha

:nono: .pp it is not a matter of just boiling the sugar for a time,you have to keep the temp between 125-135 so the sugar inverts.
If the temp rises add spoonfuls of water to keep within the above stated range but be careful of spits & boil up.
The longer IT "cooks" the darker it becomes,there is a "how to" if you search on the forum.you can also use cream of tartare or lemon juice instead of citric acid. :cheers: ken.

fermentall said:
:nono: .pp it is not a matter of just boiling the sugar for a time,you have to keep the temp between 125-135 so the sugar inverts.
If the temp rises add spoonfuls of water to keep within the above stated range but be careful of spits & boil up.
The longer IT "cooks" the darker it becomes,there is a "how to" if you search on the forum.you can also use cream of tartare or lemon juice instead of citric acid. :cheers: ken.

Thanks mate. I couldn't find that how to at first but got it now. Need to go buy a thermometer now :-)

I plan to add the sugar over a period of time so I don't kill off the yeasties does it make sense to invert all the sugar? I know it sounds like a stupid question but my wine making up to this point has involved no invert sugar at all....

Hi PP,Never used it in winemaking before, i
use normal sugar but i do use it in Brewing in certain recipes.
If you make some i would make quite a lot in one go & let it cool & put in plastic bottles in fridge it will last for 6 months or so. :cheers:

Thanks again. I'm just gonna give it a bash. I ordered a digital thermometer so will give it a shot at the weekend. T

Latest posts

Back