Best Young's American kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Hi all

I want to get another kit underway before Christmas and fancy trying one of the Young's American ale kits.

As I tend to like lighter, 'golden' beers with a clean taste and good hop hit, which would you recommend? I searched for reviews but couldn't find much.

It would be between American IPA, American Pale Ale and American Amber Ale. If you've done one or more of these, I'd be really grateful for a recommendation.

Thank you!

I've done the American IPA, American pale and red india ale and you can't go wrong with any of them to be honest. I think a lot of it depends on which hop combo you prefer:
AIPA: simcoe, chinook, centennial
APA: columbus, centennial
RIA: simcoe, nelson sauvin, mosaic (but only makes 30 pints)
Amber: pacific jade, cluster, summit

Be aware though that all of the ones I have done have taken at least 3 weeks in the fv and would probably take 4 weeks as it's cold now and I don't have any real temperature control.

Done the apa and aipa..both good but different. The aipa was exactly consistent in og time to ferment and fg. It's a bit strong at 6.5 though to be necking it! It took nearly three weeks to ferment out but gets there!

Suggest you read through the reviews here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597
Remember that people have different palates. One man's 'best beer ever', may be undrinkable for the next man.
But if it's any help I thought the APA was better than the AIPA, but many will disagree with that I'm sure, demonstrating what I said earlier.
And presumably although you are intending to brew before Christmas, you are not intending to drink it at Christmas, there simply isn't enough time in my view to brew a decent pint even if you started it today.

Ipa>aaa>apa for me.

Currently rebrewing the youngs American mocha porter if you want a curve ball...

Depending on my mood the ipa and amp swap as my favourite youngs kits.

Suggest you read through the reviews here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597
Remember that people have different palates. One man's 'best beer ever', may be undrinkable for the next man.
But if it's any help I thought the APA was better than the AIPA, but many will disagree with that I'm sure, demonstrating what I said earlier.
And presumably although you are intending to brew before Christmas, you are not intending to drink it at Christmas, there simply isn't enough time in my view to brew a decent pint even if you started it today.

Not intending to drink at Christmas - I have 40 bottles of Cwtch to get through first!

I just want to get another brew underway and will give it plenty of time to ferment and condition.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I've only done the APA which isn't as hoppy as the IPA apparently, but is plenty hoppy for my taste.

The IPA may be ok for storing longer, as the hops dissipate in time

Have done the amber, and really enjoy it, my first go at the IPA was aweful, so bad I chucked some but think it was most certainly my issue as was my second kit and think I left the hops in far to long

Popped over to my local HBS and have gone for the AIPA. Will post a review next year!

If you like a really hoppy beer, then you won't regret your choice at all I am sure (so long as it had a good long date on the kit). This is one of the few kits I actually liked the beer from. Nice and bitter, with a lovely hit of juicy hops. Not much in the way of malt though, but I understand that that is typical of the style (not much from the malt in Dead Pony Club, Punk IPA or Elvis Juice either. :lol:). It's even drinkable from the moment it's finished priming imho.... :whistle: Again, I believe this is par for the style, the dry hop aroma actually fading the longer you leave it.

Somebody who massively prefers a seriously malty beer, with the hops playing a supporting role, however would probably find it revolting....

I'll look forward to your review next year. :thumb: Having read a few of your posts so far though, I suspect you may find yourself looking into making the jump to BIAB next year. Like you I got fed up of spending money only to produce a nice pint of homebrew twang.... :doh: Not that I can taste any in the Youngs AIPA beers... Not yet anyway...

sdt, I left the hops in for a full 6 days, as at 4 it wasn't hoppy enough for me. Longer than this though would have probably ruined it.

Ipa>aaa>apa for me.

Currently rebrewing the youngs American mocha porter if you want a curve ball...

Depending on my mood the ipa and amp swap as my favourite youngs kits.
First time brewer here and just wondering if you could shed some light, I’m brewing the same mocha porter but it still hasn’t carbonated yet in my pressure barrel, its been in there four weeks now. Any ideas?

First time brewer here and just wondering if you could shed some light, I’m brewing the same mocha porter but it still hasn’t carbonated yet in my pressure barrel, its been in there four weeks now. Any ideas?

Because of the headspace in a barrel, I find it really difficult to achieve good carbonation. It’s why I swiftly moved to PET bottles - once the cap is on tight, you can actually feel the carbonation as the pressure inside increases. And it stays until you open it.

Unless you haven't kept your beer in a warm place to carb up and the yeast hasn't worked you are most likely to have a leak on your PB somewhere.
If you use gas bulbs I suggest you use one to charge the PB and then go round all the joints and the top seams with soapy water to check for leaks.
When you have found the leak, fix it and reprime (all your initial priming sugar will have been lost) and then keep in a warm place. After a few days check that the PB is holding pressure by drawing off a sample through the tap.
More here
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel

I kept the beer in a warm place for only a week then moved it to a colder place so this could be the problem but I will definitely check the barrel as well. Thanks for the tips. Will definitely be more patient in future

I have had abut a 60% succes rate with my pressure barrels, down to a loose valve and over/under tightening the cap.
Currently bottles only for me...

Back