Home Brew Competition December 2017.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
The competition for this month is British Pale Ales, Bitters and Milds, and I will be judging. If you have any questions about whether your beer fits the category then feel free to ask here or in a PM.

If you would like to enter, send me a PM and I'll give you the delivery address. This won't be judged until the second week of January. Feedback will be provided soon thereafter and the winner will be announced on this thread.

For details about what should be submitted and the rules of the competition, please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=64349

Best of luck to everyone!

One entry confirmed so far but there is still plenty of time to get your entries in.

The first entry has arrived, a fine looking ale from @Dads_Ale

Still plenty of time to get your entries in. I've been researching extensively for judging, as I've been explaining to the wife at the supermarket checkout.

OK folks, two weeks left to get your beers in. Only three entries so far so plenty of scope for forum glory.

Okay my "mild" is in the post. Sorry to be one of those people, but it could use a few days warm to carb up properly if you don't mind.
Cheers.

Alright chaps. Last chance to get your brews in. Hoping to get this judged 6th Jan ish, but can postpone if there are beers in the post.

The beers are drunk and judged independently by myself and my wife. Firstly, congratulations to all brewers, all of them were competent and I wouldn't grumble if I was served any. It was close but nevertheless, there is a clear and unanimous winner.

First place: Global warming, bitter, 4.1%, @Dads_Ale
Second place: London bitter, best bitter, 4.7%, @Zephyr259
Joint third: Nutty man, ruby mild, 3.5%, @strange-steve
Joint third: Black cat bitter, bitter, 4.3%, @mozza

Congratualtion again to all, they were very enjoyable. I'll write up the notes and send detailed feedback and constructive criticism by PM tomorrow.

Well I must say I am very chuffed.
A big thanks to Ian for judging and the feedback and congrats the other competitors.

I am particularly pleased as I did a complete 35 litre brew essentially to enter a single bottle into this competition. Why? well I did a previous bitter that was intended to serve as the source for the competition entry but due to some mash temp issues it turned out a bit thin. Having already said I would enter I did another brew with a slightly different grain bill and a higher mash temp.. Saying that I am currently drinking the original brew via my beer engine and it has actually matured nicely.

Anyway enough of my ranting, here is the recipe:

Values are for a final volume in FV of 35litres
This came out reasonably hoppy.

Malt:
Pale (marris otter) - 4.5 kg
Wheat - 250g
Dark Crystal - 100g
Melanoidin - 300g
Flaked barley - 100g
Cara 3 - 50g

Mash at 66c for 90 mins

Hops (leaf):