Dry hop choice for Coopers Canadian Blonde?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonind

Reaction score
I've got it fermenting nicely at 18 degrees C having made it up with 1kg of Young's BE and 600g of Golden Syrup. Having dry-hopped my Sundew with 50g Cascade I'm wondering what would be best for this? I like a hoppy beer and am wondering if this could make a Dead Pony club style session IPA with the addition of Chinook, Simcoe or one of the other big profile hops?

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

I did this kit with Falconers Flight 7Cs hop blend; 30g dry hop and a 20g hop tea. I was very pleased with it as it was my 10th brew and, at the time, the best I'd brewed.

I couldn't agree more, flavour wise the blonde kits are a blank canvas. Pile the hops in, even add a hop tea when you dry hop just to get more flavour in there. These light beers, the blondes, light pilsners give you a really nice light beer with that chilled lager carbonation crispness. With the BE, the syrup and a good hop addition you're going to end up with a cracking, big boy beer.

I'm going to give the Falconer's Flight a whirl, 100g of pellets to dry hop after the fermentation has largely completed unless anyone thinks that's overkill?

I used to put a maximum of 100g FF or FF7c's Dry hop in my AIPA its usually @ 6.5% ABV. But I love the big hop hit (I used to even squeeze the hop sock to get everything I could in)

Now I find it easier doing hop tea and I think you get even more aroma? One day I may even try a combination!!! (50+50)

Some on the forum may suggest using even more,,,:whistle:

I'm going to give the Falconer's Flight a whirl, 100g of pellets to dry hop after the fermentation has largely completed unless anyone thinks that's overkill?

I don't think that is overkill, I think that will make for nice hit of that American hop goodness.

Well, it's been in the keg a week at 18 degrees C for the second fermentation and I just had a taste, it's fantastic, easily the best beer I've made (although only no.4) and I can't wait for it to condition a bit more which will I'm sure improve it further. It's light, quite dry although soft and floral - absolutely delightful.

I'm now thinking of buying a 4 Coopers kits, 6kg of Dried Light Malt Extract and 4 100g packs of hop pellets to keep me going for the next few months...

I couldn't agree more, flavour wise the blonde kits are a blank canvas. Pile the hops in, even add a hop tea when you dry hop just to get more flavour in there. These light beers, the blondes, light pilsners give you a really nice light beer with that chilled lager carbonation crispness. With the BE, the syrup and a good hop addition you're going to end up with a cracking, big boy beer.
I have just done the same kit (lazy but I like blonde beer) and for the reason of it potentially being a boring pint I dry hopped with 25g of Amarillo and done a hop tea with 25g of centennial. Anyone have any ideas of what else to do? I want a nice hop hit but not too much have I done enough/too much? I have more Amarillo and some citra I was holding back for an IPA

I have just done the same kit (lazy but I like blonde beer) and for the reason of it potentially being a boring pint I dry hopped with 25g of Amarillo and done a hop tea with 25g of centennial. Anyone have any ideas of what else to do? I want a nice hop hit but not too much have I done enough/too much? I have more Amarillo and some citra I was holding back for an IPA

Sounds good to me. The Canadian Blonde is a good kit for additions and 50g of hops will be noticeable, particularly this combination. Citra might "kill" Amarillo to a degree, but that's just my suggestion. Plenty of commercial beers will use both.

Sounds good to me. The Canadian Blonde is a good kit for additions and 50g of hops will be noticeable, particularly this combination. Citra might "kill" Amarillo to a degree, but that's just my suggestion. Plenty of commercial beers will use both.

Yeah I was holding that one back for my IPA . On that I would like to do a 3 hop IPA with Citra as a dry hop, which others would you use for bittering and aroma?

Yeah I was holding that one back for my IPA . On that I would like to do a 3 hop IPA with Citra as a dry hop, which others would you use for bittering and aroma?

I've done my two Citra brews with Simcoe and the first has all gone. I used the recipe from Greg Hughes' Home Brew Beer for the first and the leftovers for the second. Bittering can be anything really, but US IPAs would often use Columbus (said to be the same as Tomahawk and Zeus). Warrior and Nugget are also US bittering hops I have used.

There are other members who have done more US style beers than I. Perhaps we could request further input?

Back