When to pitch a starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Do you guys wait on a starter finishing and decant the liquid before pitching the yeast?

or

Do you guys pitch when the starter is frothing like a good 'un?

K

I've done it both ways depending on how pressed for time I am. I always try not to pitch the liquid because it's not really tasty beer. It was just made to produce more yeast. So when I plan ahead, I always let it ferment out and then chill it to settle the yeast out. Then, before pitching, I carefully decant the liquid and pitch the yeast.

With that said, I've done some last minute brews where my starters were rushed. In that case, I did pitch it all nice and frothy or just newly finished.

I would agree with Phettabs and allow it to finish fermenting and settle, however you do need to plan in order that it is ready as you are ready to pitch. :thumb:

i was just asking this on another post , i've read that german brewers that are using top fermenting yeast will skim off the top after around 3 days when its "going a good un" then use that for the next batch , I've also read that the yeast go through different stages and at that period it's at it's best for fermenting , but as i mentioned in other post i've also read wait till starter is fermented . I usually do my starter around 3 days before pitching and it goes great . However all the above may be to do with getting or not the right kind off flavours in weizens where stressing the yeast a little is good (but not too much) depending on desired flavour :hmm: :hmm: Looks like a job for Aleman :pray:

I also pour off the liquid. 10 mins into the boil I take a litre of the wort and cool. Then after pouring off the old liquid from the yeast add the new wort. By the time the boil and cooling are completed it is then full of life and ready to go.

There are two ways to pitch a yeast starter (per the Yeast book), I always do the first, just like Dennis;

1) wait until the yeast consumes all the starter wort sugars, let it settle out and decant the spent wort (which you don't want to pollute your beer with anyway), and then add some cooled wort from half way through your boil to wake up your yeast before pitching. This is the correct method when you are using a starter volume greater than 5% of your brew length

2) pitch the starter as soon as the growth phase is mostly complete and the yeast are still at the height of activity. If you are going to pitch a starter at high kraeusen it is best to keep this close to the temperature of the main batch, and also to have control over the temperature of your starter, and also this is only suitable for smaller starter volumes

Back