What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This afternoon I mowed the front lawn. It's been raining most days for about three weeks here. Humid as.
So straight after the lawn I had a Morgans (Aussie Mob, owned by Coopers) Blue Mountain Lager.

I've had a couple of mishaps with brews tasting awful and infections, so not much ready to drink.
So I've just had a taste of a toucan stout I bottled just over two weeks ago. It's very nice. I might have
to sample another one soon.

I was waiting for an invite over the road to my Irish neighbour. I bought him a six pack of Guinness
on Friday as he gave me a lift to work when my car broke down. I expected an invite to at least try
one. He's going to drink the lot isn't he....
icon_mad.gif

Was with some friends yesterday afternoon and one of them brought some 'Men Who Stare at Oats' IPA by Wild Beer Co. a really nice juicy IPA. I took some of my Rye IPA homebrew along and got very favourable reviews. I'd previously had some gushers which I put down to miscalculating my priming sugar but these didn't gush and tasted better so I now think I had some infected bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing is for sure i wont be drinking is the disgusting smoked beer i found in the cupboard last night. Truly bloody awful. Drinking a Aldi hoppy Lager as soon as its chilled down then may switch to wheat beer as i need to cane it before it goes stale.

I had one of each from the first three below ... :mrgreen:

... as I watched the fantastic Wales v. France match! :thumb:

Luckily, I then fell asleep and missed the Ireland v. England match! :whistle: :whistle:

I nodded off during the France v Wales match, but was wide awake for the longest half of rugby I have ever seem. Maybe I should have waited for the Ireland England game for a proper nap.

Night off the homebrew as we stocked up on Belgian and French craft ales yesterday in Calais.....currently drinking my second Affligem blonde 6.7%.......its very very dangerously drinkable

Just had a bottle of Oakham Green Devil IPA and it was completely flat, absolutely zero head and carbonation. I don't think it's bottle conditioned so not sure what happened.

Hosted a BBQ brew day today. We had a few of my beers in the process. Duckling Pale Ale, Brown Owl Brown Ale, Golden Pheasant IPA, Red Robin Rye (what I'm brewing more of today) and Brace DIPA.
Now enjoying a nice Late Night Warbler Mint Choc Stout. 😁🍻

Thought I would try my English IPA tonight. Just over 4 weeks in the bottle. The first one wasn't that nice. Time has helped. Nicely carbed now with a good head. Nicer taste but there is still a slight taste there that I don't know what it is and I don't like it. Perhaps time will help. I think it's the hop combination.

I made the California Common back on 18 September last year. Used the GH recipe and had this brilliant idea to change the hop schedule.

In the book it is:
41g Northern Brewer @60m
14g Northern Brewer @10m
41g Northern Brewer @0m

I went for a cheap bittering hop and moving the NB to later in the boil (clever me? Not this time!):
17g Herkules @ 60m
40g Northern Brewer @15m
40g Northern Brewer @0m

Tried this first on 1 Feb - OMG was this bitter even still.
Drinking another (couple) tonight. Much smoother, but this is after 6 months.

I can really appreciate the point of this style now. It is a clean sort of taste.

I used US 05 for this, as I do for most of my beers as it tolerates a warm house (me plus 2-3 women, a lot less fun than it sounds!) and fermentation at ~22C.

The outlaws are back (Mother and Father-in law) are over from. St Lucia 🇱🇨 and they always bring me a couple of Pitons, the national beer. Ąs a born again beer snob I was dubious but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a lager that's got a nice hop bitterness and flavour and the only problem is that the bottles are only 275ml.

_20170319_201924.jpg

A nice caramel latte whilst doing a stock take. Getting ready for a Tropic Thunder Clone. 😎☕

ca80ecad8d75d6bbf32a5f3e25bd9b9a.jpg

Had one of my pseudo( Kolsch) lagers tonight. Possibly a little undercarbed but a nice drink. Didn't drink it too cold either so got some nice malt flavour:thumb:
Brewed with the Crossmyloof Kolsch yeast of which i shall be buying more of.

Had a couple of pints of the John Bull IPA, with a cascade dry hop... really am enjoying this even after just 4 weeks in the bottle.

The crafty hen has to be the best by far I tasted in the series.
But the proper job powerfully hopped was a great taste.
Marris otter, pale Barley Malt, williamette, chinook & cascade...went down a treat.
For the Aroma and the taste of the hops was what I like...but if I'm honest and want to make IPA less hops.
Might get a crate when I'm shopping...or wait and make my own...:-)
Bri

After a 10yr break from brewing, I'm just getting back into it and have done a few kits (Coopers Stout - can't go too far wrong) and now BIAB. Cracked open my second attempt last night after just a week in the bottle and very very impressed. It is a Cascade SMASH which ended up at about 5%. I kept the mash temperature on the low side which leaves it quite dry and very refreshing. I added a hop tea for the first time which gives it a lovely initial citrus aroma and flavour but leaves a subtle bitterness (I think the IBU was about 40). A bit of haze, but not too bothered about that it this stage. I primed with more sugar than I would normally (I forgot that I have only made 15Lt) but the extra fizz probably suits this beer.
I would normally leave a brew alone for a few more weeks to mature, but I think I will be getting stuck into this before the Cascade fades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back