Black Sabbath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi MC. This stout is all about the yeast, which has a strong peppery flavour. Use a different yeast and you'll have a great, but very different stout.

All your yeasts would be suitable for a straight version of this stout, but S04 would be my least favourite of the five. You may prefer this stout with normal yeast, but the Weiss yeast makes it what it is. A good idea would be to split the batch in two and ferment one with the Weiss yeast and the other with an ale yeast.

The hops - you can use any really, in the Weiss yeast version anyway. I found that the hops were not prominent because of the yeast and roast grain flavours. You could use Simcoe, which is a brilliant hop, but I would save it for a beer where it would show up more. Same with Amarillo. So use Summit or Willamette. Or both. But you probably only need bittering hops, if you use the Weiss yeast.

Bottled mine on the 3rd, I'm going to give it a good time to condition before trying, as it seemed very thick, and rather "serious", if that is the right word...

You manage to acquire the yeast for this? Honestly having tried clibits creation it really is rather special. Never been into stout having tried a few but this made me want more. Honestly is one of nicest beers I've drank.

I did it with Danstar Nottingham in the end, so it won't have the spice thing going on, but I always enjoy a good strong stout.

I tried to get hold of that yeast as local shop had it on their site. But sold out. I've tracked some down now on a site based in Belgium thought it was Luxembourg initially so ordered two lots of it. Bit mental I know but it is worth it.

I've just had a quick search as well. Very tricky to find. Trust Clibit to turn this into some kind of Sith challenge...

I brewed this last weekend (10 days ago) and I've today tested the gravity and it's at 1020. I'm usually down to 1010 or so after 14 days. I tend to ferment for 3 weeks but I don't think I'm going to get there with this one. I've been fermenting in my new brew shed but it's insulated and the temp has remained a fairly constant 16-18 degrees. Does this yeast just take longer to work its magic?

I've followed the recipe to the letter and in fact for the first time ever, hit my target volume and SG bang on :???:

p.s. had a sneaky taste and yep, it's going to be amazing! Most 10 day old beer is pretty flat and bland but this was drinkable!!

I brewed this last weekend (10 days ago) and I've today tested the gravity and it's at 1020. I'm usually down to 1010 or so after 14 days. I tend to ferment for 3 weeks but I don't think I'm going to get there with this one. I've been fermenting in my new brew shed but it's insulated and the temp has remained a fairly constant 16-18 degrees. Does this yeast just take longer to work its magic?

I've followed the recipe to the letter and in fact for the first time ever, hit my target volume and SG bang on :???:

p.s. had a sneaky taste and yep, it's going to be amazing! Most 10 day old beer is pretty flat and bland but this was drinkable!!

The low temperature will have slowed the fermentation down but that is no bad thing. You could raise it now. If that's possible?

Yea I can move it inside the house. Guess that I will do that until I install heating/cooling to the brewery.

Latest posts

Back