Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoping somebody can help me here,

I brewed this @ 23L with 1kg of brewing sugar and about 250g of DME.

FG: 0.002 (seems a bit low?)

when i asked the other half what OG she recorded down on brew day she came at me with 1.080

obviously that is an insane OG, and I remember vaguely seeing the hydrometer being in the colour coded section and not bobbing all the way out of the measuring cylinder... im thinking she meant 1.008.. putting this at less than 1%abv

im going to check the hydrometer for accuracy. but can anybody tell me what their OG was if they did something close to my recipe?

the little taster i had when measuring the OG certainly tasted a lot more alcoholic than 0.79%
Using the calculator
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/
gives your OG at 1.040, which looks about right.
You cannot have a beer SG of 0.002, so your reading is incorrect.
I suggest you read your hydrometer 'how to use' instructions and/or following
How to measure Specific Gravity using a Homebrew Hydrometer - The HomeBrew Forum
and perhaps also test your hydrometer in clean water at about 20*C when it should read 1.000.

Using the calculator
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/
gives your OG at 1.040, which looks about right.
You cannot have a beer SG of 0.002, so your reading is incorrect.
I suggest you read your hydrometer 'how to use' instructions and/or following
How to measure Specific Gravity using a Homebrew Hydrometer - The HomeBrew Forum
and perhaps also test your hydrometer in clean water at about 20*C when it should read 1.000.

my hydrometer certainly does not read 1.000.. just checked. i think its time i bought a new one.

i'll re-test, and take OG as 1.04 as an estimate for a rough percentage. plus a bit of "Sup it and see"

23L - 20/01/18 - 06/02/18. 21c controlled
Re-pitched Wilko Gervin +1tsp Yeast nutrient
1kg Muntons Brew Enhancer. 30g honey, 40g Muscavado sugar, 40g light brown sugar (Using up odds and sods of sugar)
40g East Kent Goldings - 40m steep in just boiled water
40g East Kent Goldings dry hop 5 days
OG:1054 - FG:1005 - 6.5%
500ml bottles primed with 3/4tsp sugar

For a £12 kit this is really nice and now I'm really going through them at a rate of knots.

my last batch turned out ****. but thinking of giving it another go.
1kg BE. few hundred g of brewing sugar and a dry hop of around 50g of probably citra for a citrus element (pironi is my go to when no craft is available)

finding most of my kit brews too sweet. would a 40m steep of say 20g citra bitter the beer more? or just add flavour? ....or both
should I rein in the dry hop if i steep some hops

Last edited by a moderator:
my last batch turned out ****. but thinking of giving it another go.
1kg BE. few hundred g of brewing sugar and a dry hop of around 50g of probably citra for a citrus element (pironi is my go to when no craft is available)

finding most of my kit brews too sweet. would a 40m steep of say 20g citra bitter the beer more? or just add flavour? ....or both
should I reign in the dry hop if i steep some hops
It'll add a little perceived bitterness, but for real bitterness you'd need to do a boil of the hops for while.

Can you look up the water report for your area to find out the sulphate and choride level - could be really balanced towards the malty side with chloride higher than sulphate. If it is you could adjust your water with some gypsum. I'd be scared by this advice a month ago before I started looking at water adjustment but it's not as scary as it seems.4

http://beerandwinejournal.com/chloride-and-sulfate/

I brewed this recently, brewed short to 20l and used 1kg of brewing sugar.

IIjegged after a week but had some issues with my keg and had to reprime.

I'm probably drinking a bit too young, but finding it particularly cloudy. In all honesty I'm not exactly impressed with the kit flavour wise but not disappointed for the cost. Im going to do the Mexican Cerveza lager kit next time as I much preferred that :-)

Back