Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what appeals to me about these juice wines, they're cheap so you can experiment, they're easy to throw together and you might find a really good combo to go ahead with a bigger batch.
I have to try an original WOW at some point, it would be rude not to lol although when I used to drink MD20/20 (a lot of years ago) orange was my least favourite but if I don't like it I'm sure I'll find someone who does. :wink:

I think it's the only one that benefits from a little ageing, I found it too dry and it's the only one I back sweetened by adding sugar to the bottle and shaking before drinking.

This is a long thread and i cannot remember anyone raving about orange wine I guess that says it all. :lol:

It sure is a long thread, I've read most of it over 3 days and I also can't remember anyone saying they can't wait to get another one on the go.

I've learned a lot reading this thread though (thanks to yourself and many others) so I'm glad I took the time to do it, I bought my home brew stuff from birthday money nearly 2 years ago and only really done a kit lager, some TC's and made some AppleJack so far but after reading this thread I realised a lot of things I maybe should have done differently that would have made things better.

Can't wait to get some WOW variations on the go now, this thread has been an inspiration and gave me a kick up the butt to get some brews on the go again. :thumb:

Hi again Chippy New update the wines have conpletly cleared. I think it was because did not degas long enough thats why it took so long to clear. The thing is I used one of those wands attached to a drill how long should I do it for and many times and how do you know if you have degassed it right as when I have done i still get froth on the top

how long should I do it for and many times and how do you know if you have degassed it right as when I have done i still get froth on the top

I set it off forward for 5 seconds then reverse for 5 seconds and repeat for about a minute, there is no exact time but i have been doing it this way for 3 years and rarely had one not clear as for the froth you will always get bubbles even if there is no CO2 left, don't get too hung up on degassing try my method and you will be fine.

The Gunge way of degassing wine: Remove airlock and replace it with a (very) flexible tube about a foot long. Suck hard on the tube to create a partial vacuum in the demijohn / FV. Whilst maintaining suction on the tube, bend it so it seals itself then secure with a clothes peg or similar. The negative air pressure in the container soon gets the CO2 to come out. Works great and completely eliminates the risk of infection and stuff. Having said that, I rarely bother these days. I've got my act together re schedules so 'time' is sufficent to achieve degassing. But if you're in a hurry....

Is that at full speed on the drill Chippy?

Yes, the idea of forward/reverse is it causes a massive release of CO2 as you change direction obviously if you drill is better than mine and the wine tries to leave the DJ slow it a bit.

I have just been reading this thread with great interest. It is something I would like to try, I was just wondering about taste.

Is it an aqquired taste or can these simple concoctions actually be quite palatable?

In terms of your most successful recipes could you advise me on any recipie in particular that would be a good place to start?

Kind regards

Jon

Your wouldn't compare these wines to a decent shop bought bottle but they are as good if not better than the cheaper end supermarket stuff and you can choose whatever you like to put in them, I would suggest you try the recipe at the bottom of the first post in this thread using red grape juice and apple juice it's one we make regularly and a forum favourite.

I didn't make any wine last year and I only really started the year before, with very mixed results, but I've decided to give it another go this year. So far, I've done some WOW which is about to be bottled and I think the results are pretty good. I've also made fruit juice wines from mango, apple and mango, purple berries and pineapple, all of which are still fermenting. In addition I'm doing some hedgerow wines. I've got a gallon of elderberry in the demijohn, a gallon of blackberry in the brewing bucket, enough elderberries to get another gallon going and almost enough rose hips to start a gallon of that too. Image is of the orange wine I'm about to bottle. Tastes pretty good even now (my Wife liked it too!), so I reckon a few months in the bottles should improve it no end.

Cheers!

Regards to all,

Colin

Keep us posted :thumb:

I got there in the end m8, here's the thread 4 WOW Variants and 10l Cider to be dry hopped

@Vinotinto Benidorm was messy m8 lol and I now know what you mean about mobility scooters, you can't walk 10 steps without passing one of these things, seen quite a few people drunk, fast asleep in the back seat of the double ones, funny as feck. Great Birthday in the Tikki Beach bar though, from what I remember lol.

Hi all, just put this WOW on today, it is a new juice my wife fancied trying from asda as she likes coconut, hoping the flavour may still be there after fermentation.
1ltr coconut 15%, pineapple 60%, lime 5%
1.5 ltr lidl 100% aj
800g sugar making 960g totals.
2 tbag tannin
pect, nutrient, glycerine, citric.
balihoo yeast starter.
top up to 4.5 ltr bottled water.(I ferment in 5ltr plastic then transfer to demi for clearing)

IMG_20171101_141019.jpg

IMG_20171101_140936.jpg

Latest posts

Back