Festive spirit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
So - In my noob like manner I kicked off a festive mulled cider tonight - A 5l test.

4L apple [emoji519] juice (Lidl 100 %)
0.5L strong tea
Orange zest
1tsp pectolase
Cider yeast with sweetener
1tsp nutrient
Schwartz mulled wine bags x 2

Bunged 1L apple juice in pan with mulled wine bags and zest, boiled up and simmered whilst:

Chucked 3L apple Juice in DJ
Added tea, pectolase and nutrient

Chucked pan of juice and bags in DJ.

Waited until cooled down to 20, then chucked in yeast.

Will top up with water when confident not going to overflow.

OG 1.052 - should be pretty punchy if finishes at 1.000

Simple is as simple does [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good mate, out of interest, what was the AJ you used ? 1.052 to start with seems high 😀

Will do the job though 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sounds good mate, out of interest, what was the AJ you used ? 1.052 to start with seems high [emoji3]

Will do the job though [emoji3]

It was the normal Lidl 100% juice from concentrate. I did think it was high compared to other stuff I've been doing.

Would the temp impact the reading as it was still up at around 24/25 when I read.

It was the normal Lidl 100% juice from concentrate. I did think it was high compared to other stuff I've been doing.

Would the temp impact the reading as it was still up at around 24/25 when I read.

Aye maybe mate.... like the sound of your recipe though, might sneak another Christmassy batch of TC in before the big day

All my other ciders seem to have evaporated before my eyes 😯

Aye maybe mate.... like the sound of your recipe though, might sneak another Christmassy batch of TC in before the big day

All my other ciders seem to have evaporated before my eyes [emoji54]

Easily done... I was sipping away pleasantly on that Strawberry lime TC last night... had a pal over who accused me of buying it in ! Good sh!£ that recipe of yours !

If the above one comes out ok I intend to whack on 25l before chrimbo.

This is sitting at 1.002 - once again gobsmacked at how quickly the cider yeast powers through.
Had a quick slurp - rude not to.
Subtle hint of mulled spices - yum !

This is sitting at 1.002 - once again gobsmacked at how quickly the cider yeast powers through.
Had a quick slurp - rude not to.
Subtle hint of mulled spices - yum !

when's this one getting bottled then ? I have a couple of empty FV's and a stack of 500ml PET bottles looking lonely :mrgreen:

Actually if your temperature is high when you use your hydrometer the reading will be lower than it should be. They're supposed to be callibrated for 20c, but I doubt you'd notice much difference at 25.

d71a141b33582a56d35ebd4c00b932e1.jpg

A little army of festive goodness waiting to spread the word [emoji106]

Taste is good ! Deffo putting a 25l batch of this on at the weekend.

And a little 5l Rose queueing up in the background for kicking off tonight [emoji106]

Nice I may well follow suite with your Christmas tc this week 😀

Don't think I'll change a thing mate, I've made a few of these before but with the actual spices, and tended to get a bit heavy handed with the star anise etc... those bags should give me a nice balance 😀

Where about in the supermarket did you get them (save me wandering up and down the aisles aimlessly!)

It was just hanging up on one of those strip things near the alcohol stuff. Failing that - herb and spices section mate. In need to go back tomorrow and get some for the weekend brew so will let you know if it's moved !

Don't think I'll change a thing mate, I've made a few of these before but with the actual spices, and tended to get a bit heavy handed with the star anise etc... those bags should give me a nice balance [emoji3]

Where about in the supermarket did you get them (save me wandering up and down the aisles aimlessly!)

Picked up a couple of boxes tonight... oddly enough they were in the meat section on a Schwartz stand !

I did my first batch with apples a month or so ago. I must have the bug because I've just been to Tesco to get some juice and mulled wine spice - I'll be making this later today - couldn't bear to see my fermenting vessel, spare bottles and left over yeast go to waste - and the TC will be a good thing to give my Christmas guests, saving he scrumpy for myself.......

lazy question - do I need Campdens with a TC ?

Thanks Roddy. Like a dork I forgot to buy the orange, so I will pop out and get one and then this process can start !

15 litres now in the FV. Totally as above but decided to leave out the tea. IG was 1.06 so expecting serious punch. Decided not to dilute - it's Christmas after all !

15 litres now in the FV. Totally as above but decided to leave out the tea. IG was 1.06 so expecting serious punch. Decided not to dilute - it's Christmas after all !

Sounds good [emoji106] no I don't use campdens either !

Back