Overnight Mash and Yield

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi forum,

I followed a recipe from a book I bought at the weekend, for a ruby mild it said. Target strength was 5.5%, using 5kg of grain.

I ordered my pale malt, 3kg, and saw they had mild malt, so meant to order the other two of that and forgot.

I did the brew anyway, and ended up doing an all day mash because I went out and was out all afternoon.

Low and behold, the wort is 1053!? Is this witchcraft using an all day mash and getting more value out of your grain? Or is there a price to pay for this efficiency?

More like you got more sugar in your sample, was this pre or post boil and did you give it a good stir?

I took a gravity reading just after the boil, I just put my hydrometer straight into the fermenting bucket, then adjusted with the calculators on here. I was on for 9% at that point!?!

I watered it down until I got to 1055. After allowing it to cool, I'm getting 1052 ish.

Hi forum,

I followed a recipe from a book I bought at the weekend, for a ruby mild it said. Target strength was 5.5%, using 5kg of grain.

I ordered my pale malt, 3kg, and saw they had mild malt, so meant to order the other two of that and forgot.

I did the brew anyway, and ended up doing an all day mash because I went out and was out all afternoon.

Low and behold, the wort is 1053!? Is this witchcraft using an all day mash and getting more value out of your grain? Or is there a price to pay for this efficiency?

I recently tried and failed to do a double brew day. I was planning on 30 minute mashes to speed things up and the first brew had a 5.8KG grain bill. This came out at 1.060 with 26L into the fermentor. The second brew got abandoned at 2am in the morning and sat in the mash tun till 4pm the following day. That had a 4.2KG grain bill and ended up at 1.061 with 23L into the fermentor.

The first brew had 75% brewhouse efficiency. According to Brewer's Friend the 2nd brew had 94% efficiency!

I reckon I get a 10%ish improvement in efficiency with an overnight mash compared to a 60-90 minute. I do notice that the finished beer tends to be drier. I start the mash at a higher temperature to compensate and only add crystal in the morning for a steep. This seems to work since I'm happy with my sweetness in pale ales.
I often get 23l @ 1050 OG from 4kg of Maris Otter and 250g of crystal. I'm fairly consistent.

Back