AMS(CRS), Mash Water, Gypsum for correct PH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is exactly what a report is. It is a legal requirement for water authorities to monitor, control and publish exactly what is in our water.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly a stupid question but I'm assuming you need a food grade Phosphoric Acid and can't just buy any acid to aide in reducing PH ?

There are loads out there, some at silly prices...

This one is obviously good

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/phosphoric-acid-75-250-ml-406-g-p-2852.html

I'm unsure on this one for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FI82TDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any suggestions for where to purchase ?

I've got the one from HBC. It's lasted me almost 2 years of semi regular brewing and I'm only 1/3 of the way through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the one from HBC. It's lasted me almost 2 years of semi regular brewing and I'm only 1/3 of the way through.

Yeah didn't think you would use a lot... Maybe I'll order 2 bottles to be on the safe side haha

Thanks

Still like to know if the other is usable ?

Yeah didn't think you would use a lot... Maybe I'll order 2 bottles to be on the safe side haha

Thanks

Still like to know if the other is usable ?

That stuff doesn't look like it is phosphoric acid. The fact it says that it is organic suggests that it is probably citric or acetic acids, or possibly lactic. Citric and acetic acids have a much stronger taste so wouldn't be good. Lactic acid works well but from their suggested dilution rates I doubt it is as strong as the 80% stuff you buy from homebrew shops so it is likely a false economy.

does CRS have to be treated to the whole amount of liquor or can it be used in a quarter of the water and topped off with untreated after the boil?
Just I want to do a partial later and was hoping I didn't have to boil the whole 14 litres

Cheers

Generally if an acid such as CRS is required, that unit rate addition of acid should be applied to the entire volume of water used in the brewing process. Adding un-acidified, high alkalinity water during the sparging process can be very injurous to the beer quality. Whether or not you boil the entire quantity of water is your decision, but the acidification should be applied to all.

Back