dealing with a cornie brew ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have I got the procedure right for dealing with my first ever cornie kegging ?

Syphon clear beer into cornie, purge with CO2 and seal, the brew can then be left for any number of days to mature if need be.
When its time to carbonate, put 30psi of gas on and leave for a couple of days ( cooler the better) with gas connected.
Reduce to serving pressure 3psi and drink...

Is that right ?

:mrgreen: so jealous , 1 day i will have some ( i hope) good luck with it , i have been reading these posts as i know nothing about em so i'll most likely be asking the same old question :)

he hee Aleman

No I don't like overly carbonated beers. Guess I should reduce the pressure ....

further question when beer is carbonated, can you disconnect the gas and just leave it off, putting the gas on to serving pressure when required or once carbonated does the gas have to be on at all times...sorry for stupid questions

Darned Craig doesn't answer the important question..

I force carbonate it AT the serving pressure . . . that way you can't over carbonate it and serve nothing but foam...

Thank you for the post circa 2011, I've read the thread thoroughly

frigging 6 typing errors in above post to correct....so much for Sarah Hughes Mild not being too strong !!

rpt said:
Can you use a cornie keg with a handpump? That might be a really stupid question!

My guess is yes, as long as you look like popeye! And only pump CO2 in!!

rpt said:
Can you use a cornie keg with a handpump? That might be a really stupid question!

You need a cask breather which only allows in co2 to cover what is taken out, you don't have it under pressure.

Woo hoo....
I'm now the proud owner of 2 Cornies, thanks abeyptfc and Drayman.

My gas supplier has let me down he has no cylinders available till late next week.... :(

but I got Cornies and disconnects.... :D

and a small party hand pump from Buster.

Cheers all. I think my golden delicious will be destined to be kegged.... :cheers:

piddledribble said:
further question when beer is carbonated, can you disconnect the gas and just leave it off, putting the gas on to serving pressure when required or once carbonated does the gas have to be on at all times
No the gas doesn't have to be on at all times, I turn mine off because if you have. Leak anywhere you will empty your gas bottle pretty quickly.

When force carbonating remember to re pressurise for a couple of days while the beer absorbs the co2 :thumb:

rpt said:
Yes - I do. My handpump is a false beer engine. It has a cylinder, but this is a small hydraulic one merely to simulate the feel and sound of a traditional hand pull. The 'pull' opens a valve similar to a keg tap. As soon as you stop pulling the valve closes automatically.

joe1002 said:
No the gas doesn't have to be on at all times, I turn mine off because if you have. Leak anywhere you will empty your gas bottle pretty quickly.

I do the same as when I first got everything together I was loosing some pressure, you can check your gas lines by putting some pressure in the system without the gas connected to the kegs and leaving it for a few days to see if the reading in the gas reg goes down (useless if the leak is from the keg).

As I have space in my fridge for 4 kegs but only 2 taps I often put 30psi on a keg a few days in a row before another is emptied so I don't have to wait as long to bring another keg on line.

piddledribble said:
Woo hoo....
I'm now the proud owner of 2 Cornies, thanks abeyptfc and Drayman.

My gas supplier has let me down he has no cylinders available till late next week.... :(

but I got Cornies and disconnects.... :D

and a small party hand pump from Buster.

Cheers all. I think my golden delicious will be destined to be kegged.... :cheers:

Who is your gas supplier PD?

My local gas supplier advertises both CO2 only gas cylinders and CO2/Nitrogen cylinders for home brew use.
On their web site
http://yorkshire-co2gas.co.uk/
they recommend using the CO2/nitrogen mix ( as used by most pubs it says ) less foam per pint !

I was under impression that for normal Cornie Kegs most folks used just CO2 which is the better one to get ? and is the same regulator suitable for both gasses

Co2 will give you the fizzy beer, Nitrogen will give you a creamy pint if the right mix and pressure is used.

Pubs use nitrogen to serve beer through long beer lines, as it serves up more pressure than Co2, not really an issue for a corny.

If you do decide on nitrogen you will need another regulator which can handle the higher pressure.

piddledribble said:
Don Gas at Doncaster, although he's got no cylinders in till next week..... :sulk:

http://dongas.co.uk/

or

http://yorkshire-co2gas.co.uk/

HOWEVER Yorkshire Gas is a private house which he sells from. I have a sneaky suspicion he gets it from Don Gas and charges slightly higher prices, but can't confirm

Thanks for that PD, I've spoken with Yorkshire gas before, I like the idea of a one off payment for the bottle. How much is the deposit with don gas?

a quick call to them and he stated £40 or £45 ( can't remember exact ) as I was a bit upset they had none in stock till next week. Cheaper than Yorkshire Gas
Anyway will be giving them a call on Monday but its looking like not available till Friday

Back