Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t give up mate,do you do BIAB?

I don’t. Have only recently started home brewing and this is only my fourth kit. All three previous have suffered from the dreaded twang. If this one is the same, then I’m wasting my time and money turning out something that’s ultimately disappointing.

What I don’t really understand is how there are countless positive reviews for kits like Cwtch, with no mention of HBT. Either I’m too fussy, I’m unlucky or I’m doing something wrong!

I don’t know if I’ve got the time to go all grain but it’s certainly something I’ll think about.

I don’t. Have only recently started home brewing and this is only my fourth kit. All three previous have suffered from the dreaded twang. If this one is the same, then I’m wasting my time and money turning out something that’s ultimately disappointing.

What I don’t really understand is how there are countless positive reviews for kits like Cwtch, with no mention of HBT. Either I’m too fussy, I’m unlucky or I’m doing something wrong!

I don’t know if I’ve got the time to go all grain but it’s certainly something I’ll think about.
Do you treat your brewing water i normally crush a campden tablet and add it to my cold water in a Jerry can prior to mixing in my brew. HBT IS NORMALLY caused by the chloramines in tap water reacting with the malt extract from the can.

r

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Do you treat your brewing water i normally crush a campden tablet and add it to my cold water in a Jerry can prior to mixing in my brew. HBT IS NORMALLY caused by the chloramines in tap water reacting with the malt extract from the can.

r

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I’ve used bottled spring water before and still got the twang!

How long you leaving it to condition? Even with a pale ale kit I made it had the twang. It had gone after about 4 months with the bottles left alone.

Do you have temp control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know since using a brew fridge I really haven't noticed any twang in any kits I've made. I do think that having stable fermentation temperatures has made quite a bit of difference to the quality of my beer. It might be all in my head though as I largely drink home brewed beer now so I'm probably used to the taste.

I've done this twice twang free and even though I do AG these days I will probably do another one. It's a great tasting beer for a kit.

I put a batch of Cwtch in the fv last week. Once its done you're more than welcome to pick up or swap a bottle to see if it is any different.

Do you have temp control?

How long you leaving it to condition? Even with a pale ale kit I made it had the twang. It had gone after about 4 months with the bottles left alone.

I don't have any temp control. It could be an issue but I'd have to invest yet more money in order to find out!

The kits I've done so far have been around 3 weeks in the FV, two weeks secondary priming in bottles, 2/3 weeks in the cold and then another couple of weeks before I taste. The Golden Stag I'm drinking now has been out of the cold for around 3 months but still has the twang. I will hold some back and see if it makes any difference.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

In my experience, if a kit beer has a twang,it never goes away.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the water.
I never noticed the twang until I brewed with BIAB and went back to kits, now I notice it all the time,maybe it’s my mind playing tricks.
Steep a few grains in a pot,boil them and add your hops and you will taste the difference.
You don’t need anything other than the stuff you have to try it.
Good luck either way 👍

Tiny Rebel are releasing two new kits to market in Spring next year. No details as yet, but given the rave reviews for Cwtch, they should be worth looking out for.

Having recently made Cwtch for the first time I cracked open the carbonation tester/ PET bottle on Saturday. It's only been a few weeks since bottling so needs a bit longer to properly clear but I was excited to try it. It's carbed up well, poured with a decent head and I must say it's right up there for being one of the best beer kits I've ever made, just superb, can only see it improving further in the next few weeks and I'll be having a few of these over Christmas!

Having recently made Cwtch for the first time I cracked open the carbonation tester/ PET bottle on Saturday. It's only been a few weeks since bottling so needs a bit longer to properly clear but I was excited to try it. It's carbed up well, poured with a decent head and I must say it's right up there for being one of the best beer kits I've ever made, just superb, can only see it improving further in the next few weeks and I'll be having a few of these over Christmas!

Sounds great! Bought my Cwtch in from the cold at the weekend. Will try one before Christmas and post a report. If mine’s as good as yours sounds then I’ll be delighted, but if I get the dreaded ‘twang’ again...

Well, I’ve tried the Cwtch tonight and I’m pretty underwhelmed. I think the ‘twang’ is far less obvious than on the previous three kits I’ve done ( though it’s there), but the beer itself doesn’t impress me much. It’s quite malty, not very hoppy and also not clear.

Given that my Golden Stag definitely improved after 2/3 months in the bottle, I may now just ignore this and try it again in a month’s time. I’m bottling my American IPA tomorrow and will then get another kit underway which should enable me to allow each new beer plenty of time to mature. I’ll report back in a month or so.

Well, I’ve tried the Cwtch tonight and I’m pretty underwhelmed. I think the ‘twang’ is far less obvious than on the previous three kits I’ve done ( though it’s there), but the beer itself doesn’t impress me much. It’s quite malty, not very hoppy and also not clear.

Given that my Golden Stag definitely improved after 2/3 months in the bottle, I may now just ignore this and try it again in a month’s time. I’m bottling my American IPA tomorrow and will then get another kit underway which should enable me to allow each new beer plenty of time to mature. I’ll report back in a month or so.

Do you have temp control for fermentation? I’ve done this kit twice I’ve never detected the twang in it, as for clear beer that doesn’t concern me at all, I’m not reading through it so no matter.

Do you have temp control for fermentation? I’ve done this kit twice I’ve never detected the twang in it, as for clear beer that doesn’t concern me at all, I’m not reading through it so no matter.

I don’t have any temperature control. I’m thinking that a brew fridge is probably going to be essential if I’m looking to carry on with this.

I'm surprised you had this result, if anything the Cwtch has been one of the most hoppy kits I've made. I do have a few issues with it though, it's over carbed which was my fault thought I wanted it a bit more fizzy so aimed for an American Ale level of carbonation from the Brewer's Friend priming calc but it's a bit too much for me even if well chilled. It's also pretty bitter. Neither of these things will stop me drinking it though!

My God. I think I may have made a beer kit that is actually half decent.

Cracked open a Cwtch on Friday evening and I'm not getting any twang now. I'm starting to wonder if it was all in my mind because of the experiences I'd had with the previous three kits I'd made. I've become paranoid regarding the dreaded twang!

Anyway, the acid test. Took it round to a friend on Saturday evening, who when he tried a pint of my Wherry (the first kit I made) last year, turned his nose up and said "You can tell that's home brew". And he was right.

Totally different reaction to the Cwtch. He really liked it! It still doesn't look that clear, but has a strong bitterness and a really nice hoppy afternote (my friend described it as 'floral'). It's not only drinkable, it's actually very good!

I'll probably be brought down to earth with a bump when I try my American IPA which is just about ready, but for now I'm just basking in the glory of finally having made a beer of which I'm proud!

Back