Brew Length vs Brew Frequency + a Happy Liver

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening All.

Let me start by saying I'm set up for small batches -

I don't want to drink the same thing for Months.
I enjoy brewing.
I want to brew often enough to improve my skills.
There are types of beer beyond counting that I have not tried and the likes of T..co don't sell.

So I'm a bit puzzled by the quantities some (non commercial) members brew.
I just can't see how they manage to drink it all and brew more than two or three times a year if they intend to keep their livers from having them up for war crimes. To say nothing about growing waste lines!

So what's the trick to it pour it down your mates/family, say sod it to your liver or what?

Puzzled. Aamcle

What quantities are you talking about? I average consumption of 7 pints of average 4.5% beer a week, maybe more maybe less some weeks and my missus guzzles a few also, sometimes higher strength, sometimes lower.

I give a small quantity from each batch to family and friends. This means one brew day (36 bottles/18 litres) every 4 weeks is easily consumed, sometimes I'm at risk of running out, so I brew twice a month when I can and I know the 3 main summer months will be lean months with a brew day every six weeks or so!

On average I must be brewing once a month throughout the year, I don't think that's excessive and my waist line is kept in check, in fact I've been slowly losing weight over the last few months!

:thumb:

I brew every 4 weeks upto 80 litres...trialing yeasts and hops etc

shove a bit into cornelius kegs, some into bottles, goes to friends, family etc...80 litres is a good size as it does imitate the action of the big kit..heat losses etc

Then when happy, brew upto 760 litres on the big kit...18 casks per brew

For me, it is about having just enough ready to drink and I really enjoy fermentation, which form the core of making beer or wine.

I mainly drink red wine, made from grape, and because of the ageing involved I have hundreds of litres.
I make grape wine once a year - and add to the varieties I have used. I then blend before bottling.

Beer I drink more infrequently, so I tend to only ever have a couple of batches of bottles to hand at any one time.
I tried corny kegs for beer and found I was not getting through it fast enough. However I do use the corny kegs for wine.

..and yes you are right I give a lot away.

I was tee total for 15+ years before I took uo the hobby of beer making 18 months or so a go. I only drink approx 8 pints or so in a week now, I have a 30+ yr old son who drinks a bit more than me... :grin:

I also brew alot ( some say too much ! ) now not so much into bottles but corny's. My bottle stocks are modest and I have 7 cornys filled with different beers at all times.
Friends come round and consumption rises....
As a result we will probably empty one corny every 10 days or so.

I've lost weight this last year as far as I'm aware my liver is happy

Happy brewer

and yes you are right I give a lot away

I thought that would be the best way :-) currently I'm doing about 20 pints per batch with the option to double to 40 on existing kit.

Thanks All.

Aamcle

I brew about 200-300L a year but only drink about 5-6 pints a weekand i also share with a brewing partner who probably drinks less than me. :thumb:

I'm building up a stock of beer of different types. So though I've brewed close to 200 litres since June Most of that is tucked away in my shed for next years BBQ's where they will be shared. Want to build up a stock of around 250 bottles. I Will slowdown to whatever rate keeps my stock up with 5 or 6 bottles extra a week for me

I do perhaps 50l every 4-6 weeks. Fill a keg, age the rest in FV and bottle or keg. No problems bringing the keg in to the brewery (work) and putting it on for everyone to try. Seem to get a lot of people after a pint when they visit 20l doesnt last very long.

D

I find theres lots of things to do around the brewery even when not making a beer....

and its surprising how many friends quickly work out my brewing schedule ! or more importantly my maturing schedule :grin:

I can put away 40 pints over the course of a weekend (friday, saturday, sunday), but I don't so much any more, even for a 22 year old it's slightly excessive.

I give a few bottles away to grandparents and that, my dad drinks it. Wine especially most of my family will drink.

Megaross said:
I can put away 40 pints over the course of a weekend (friday, saturday, sunday), but I don't so much any more, even for a 22 year old it's slightly excessive.

I give a few bottles away to grandparents and that, my dad drinks it. Wine especially most of my family will drink.

Slightly excessive? Who's kidding who?

Megaross said:
I can put away 40 pints over the course of a weekend (friday, saturday, sunday),

They were the days :drunk: :party:

How many pints did we get through at the Spring Thing as a collective, 3000+ was it? And that was only Friday & Saturday :whistle: :shock:

Even though I only drink around 1 pint a day :hmm: I sooooo look forward to getting home from work and downing (savouring) a homebrew, something I never used to do with commercial ales in the same way :wha:

brewtim said:
Even though I only drink around 1 pint a day :hmm: I sooooo look forward to getting home from work and downing (savouring) a homebrew, something I never used to do with commercial ales in the same way :wha:

Here! here! too that

You lot have been listening to the 'experts' and worry about your liver too much. I sup 30 pints a week for 2 weeks, then have a week of abstinence due to being on nights. That's still naff-all compared to what I'd shift when younger and I've 35 years of such excess! I had a liver-function test recently as part of a health 'MOT' and the results were textbook perfect. My ol' man thought nuthin' of ten pints a day, every day fot decades. He's dead now. Liver failure? Nah, heart attack. But then he also smoked 80 Park Drive a day and lived exclusively on chips, cheese and bacon. Oh, and BEER! Lighten up guys -drink and me merry.

I got around 200 bottles of various beers and a full keg. I like a bit of variety and like others my boozing falls in line with working shifts so this week my "Saturday night"will be Thursday at I'm working all weekend. .I'm 48 in my younger days I'd drink gallons of lager on a weekend and have a bender mid week but got fed up of ****e beer and turned to bitters and stouts then craft beers . I generally drink what I feel like...last night 1 bottle,tonight a couple maybe,tomorrow with my curry...half a dozen..who knows..then nothing til Sunday. When I finish for Christmas next week....I'm gonna CANE IT!!
Some chap works with me eats **** and drinks probably 60+pints a week....he's proper fooked. ..shaking like a shi++ing dog!

Cheers

Clint

There was s another thread about this and i came away feeling like an alkie,we are homebrewing for goodness sake, not stamp collecting,of course we drink a bit more than some people, well i do anyway, a couple,maybe three a night,six on a fri,sat and sun. When im on three weeks nightshift, its only weekend, never good taking your son to school at 9am reeking of beer.
Not saying anyones being conservative with the estimates 😕............
If your not getting drunk,never miss your work and enjoying the hobby, i say stuff the rest.Live is for living
Ps,im a Christian so ive got eternity to look forward to anyway 😂

Come Dec 23rd I too will be destroying the beer stocks. Probably drink around 15 pints a week normally, maybe more plus I like to share it. I certainly do not worry about my liver, life is supposed to be enjoyed.

Latest posts

Back