Lactose in Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanzanite

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has any one added lactose to bitter say a woodfords wherry, 100g when racking into secondary , to add a slight sweetness and increase body ???????.

Thats something I havent come across before. I had a mild with lactose in when on holiday in cornwall over xmas. It was really nice. I plan on making a lactose mild at some point this year.

Not lactose, but I have added maltodextrin to beers in the past. I don't think it matters when - boil, primary, whatever. Definitely gives more body and mouthfeel.

I also added a bit to a bottle of Brewdog's Dead Pony Club, which I found nicely hoppy but a bit thin for me. Double-plus, as it got rid of a lot of unwanted fizz as well!

Er .... why would anyone wish to brew a "sweet" bitter?

I may be showing my age here, but surely a "sweet" beer is called something other than "bitter".

"Mild" or (especially with lactose added) "Milk Stout"? :thumb:

Well, the OP did say a "slight sweetness and to increase body"

I've never used lactose, but maltodextrin will increase body and "mouthfeel" (however you define that - probably just the same as "body").
Yep, I wouldn't want a sweet bitter, but I wouldn't want one that was too "dry" either. Use only pale malt, mash at low temperature, use a high-attenuating yeast - well, I'm not going to like it, and my remedy would be to reach for the maltodextrin. Maybe even try lactose for the first time! :)

I've just searched the Recipe section above for "Bitter".

The search produced dozens of recipes but when I added "Lactose Sugar" to the search every one of them disappeared.

So in answer to the OP question as to whether or not anyone has tried adding it to a Bitter I have to say "Probably not." :thumb:

Er .... why would anyone wish to brew a "sweet" bitter?

I may be showing my age here, but surely a "sweet" beer is called something other than "bitter".

"Mild" or (especially with lactose added) "Milk Stout"? :thumb:
Or a 'Milk Mild'. :whistle:
Anyway I used lactose in a dark beer many years ago and found it was a bit sickly, perhaps I used to much. It's academic really I shan't be using it again that's for sure.

So in answer to the OP question as to whether or not anyone has tried adding it to a Bitter I have to say "Probably not." :thumb:
Well, I definitely haven't. But this gives me another chance to plug my sponsors, MMB.
Every post that I mention maltodextrin, the marketing board sends me a free lottery ticket. One day, I know I'll win the chance to become .................
Damn, couldn't think of anything left that I want to be :-(

lactose is an unfermentable sugar that is about 40% w/w as sweet as sucrose to taste.
its a common ingredient in hard pops to sweeten the brews such as Ginger beer and lemonade.
maltodextrin while sounding like DME is a refined product of the conversion of wheat and perhaps corn starches and has not seen or even been close to any malt.

lactose has gone out of favour in more recent times as the artificial sweeteners available now are more convenient to back sweeten with, but is still a good solid ingredient for brewing with.

use lactose with confidence it wont make your beer taste of milk ;)

Back