Pressure barrel storage or alternative.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazaman

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm about to start my second homebrew kit and looking for some advice regarding storage.
Basically,i spent quite a bit of time preparing for, and bottling my last batch. Now I'm wondering if it may be easier to just transfer to a pressure barrel instead.
My only issue though is that I have nowhere to store it cool(other than outside). I have no garage and my shed has no power.
I'm wondering if I can pressure barrel then may be transfer to a 5ltr jug to be able to chill before a planned night in? Or maybe some 5ltr mini kegs instead of pressure barrel?
How long will a kit form beer last in a barrel at room temp?
Still a newbie so not sure of all options
Thanks
Gaz

Hi guys,
I'm about to start my second homebrew kit and looking for some advice regarding storage.
Basically,i spent quite a bit of time preparing for, and bottling my last batch. Now I'm wondering if it may be easier to just transfer to a pressure barrel instead.
My only issue though is that I have nowhere to store it cool(other than outside). I have no garage and my shed has no power.
I'm wondering if I can pressure barrel then may be transfer to a 5ltr jug to be able to chill before a planned night in? Or maybe some 5ltr mini kegs instead of pressure barrel?
Still a newbie so not sure of all options
Thanks
Gaz

Gaz i bottle nearly every thing in glass 500ml and cider in 750 and 500mls, i also use the 5ltr mini kegs for Lager, bitter and IPA, They fit in the fridge and cost six quid each and hold the perfect amount, Those big plastic barrels are more trouble than there worth but that my opinion:thumb:

I have pressure barrels bottles and mini kegs and in my opinion it all comes down to how cold you want your beer I my self prefer mine just below room temp as I don't like really cold beer I have a out house which gets really cold and brought a mini keg in last weekend and was way too cold for my liking. At this time of year storing in a shed would be fine but a bit of a trip every time you want to refill your glass. Have read on the mini/easy keg post and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definitely easier to keg - but on balance I think the bottling is worth it. Especially at first. The option to store bottles for a long time and go back to them, or share with your friends outweighs the pain for me.

I've always just bottled - but have the benefit of a cellar to keep it all in. Have recently upgraded to Cornelius/Keezer.. but this is a massively expensive and advanced option. Personally I'm not a fan of the pressure barrel... the finished product has never held up to a bottle from the same batch... have heard good things about mini-kegs though.

What everyone is saying. It really depends on your lifestyle of drinking. And you'll see how you brew and drink will also change over time. Friends will realize you brew and come over more often causing you to have to switch your dispense capabilities to fit the need.

The one big advantage bottles have over anything else is storage, you realistically can keep them just about anywhere and move the needed amount to the fridge or room the day before drinking them, the one big downside to this is the time needed in preparing them. I've 120 pints approaching bottling/kegging inside the next week or so, 33 pints of stout in a cornie the rest is all going to bottles :(

I see no reason why beer stored in a PB should not be OK for many weeks, provided you took the usual sanitising precautions when filling and don't allow it to 'cook' somewhere in the summer months. Same as bottles really.
I have just bought a 3rd PB, having had no problems with the previous two. Stout from a PB knocks the spots off a bottled stout as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers chaps, plenty to think about there.
The last lot that I bottled went in the shed and I just fetched a few at least a few hours before drinking. As a rule I only drink Friday and Saturday evenings and would drink 3-4 bottles on each night so I'm thinking maybe 4 easy kegs would see me right(and ill bottle the last few). I like my beer cold but having nowhere cold to store a PB,the easy keg seems like a decent compromise.
Taking the time cleaning bottles, sterilising then bottling & capping seems a bit of a waste of time as ill have necked them within a month or so 😁.
Do the easy kegs require a CO2 cartridge?
Thanks
Gaz

Cheers chaps, plenty to think about there.
The last lot that I bottled went in the shed and I just fetched a few at least a few hours before drinking. As a rule I only drink Friday and Saturday evenings and would drink 3-4 bottles on each night so I'm thinking maybe 4 easy kegs would see me right(and ill bottle the last few). I like my beer cold but having nowhere cold to store a PB,the easy keg seems like a decent compromise.
Taking the time cleaning bottles, sterilising then bottling & capping seems a bit of a waste of time as ill have necked them within a month or so 😁.
Do the easy kegs require a CO2 cartridge?
Thanks
Gaz

The easy kegs come with a tap at the bottom and a vent bung at the top which you just open when the pressure drops and close again once poured the mini kegs come with just a 2 piece bung and are used in conjunction with a party star tap which injects co2 in the keg to dispense the beer via the tap both can be used with this unless you have kegs bought from the supermarket with beer already in them though I believe not all of those types are reusable

The easy kegs come with a tap at the bottom and a vent bung at the top which you just open when the pressure drops and close again once poured the mini kegs come with just a 2 piece bung and are used in conjunction with a party star tap which injects co2 in the keg to dispense the beer via the tap both can be used with this unless you have kegs bought from the supermarket with beer already in them though I believe not all of those types are reusable

Cheers mate, ill have a look at the star tap as not heard of these before..

Cheers mate, ill have a look at the star tap as not heard of these before..

The easy keg looks a lot "easier" so I think ill stick with these. I'm sure I read somewhere that these suffer from frothy beer though..... is that right?

On the first pint tends to be foam myqul vents his 24hrs before drinking loses some carbonation but says it works I prefer these types as co2 can be expensive and I'm to tight to buy a party tap [emoji23]

If going mini keg keep an eye on ebay auctions for 'mini keg machines' they cost a bomb brand new (upto £200!!) however seem to fetch £40-£50 (depending on delivery as they are bulky when boxed)

they are tidy insulated keg enclosures with a drip tray incorporate a top quality tap with co2 bulb regulated supply (1 bulb can service more than one minikeg) and a peltier chiller to drop the keg temp down if required.

while not necessary for low conditioned beers you will drink rapidly, the chilling and regulated co2 supply lets you brew and serve a wider range of beer styles, and will provide a longer shelf life than a mini keg you vent to draw.

Also when it comes to bottling, you can cut the job down significantly by including a few large pet pop bottles. 5 x 2litre bottles is almost 1/2 the job.. Now to use a Big pet bottle with minimal sediment disturbance its best to decant the bottle with a single pour into a suitable jug, so they are best reserved for when u are THIRSTY or are entertaining. tipping back n forth even when pouring into successive pint glasses will disturb bottle sediment and cloud the beer..

Bottling is a total pita, But the pain can be eased as you sup on a bottle of the last batch while you work ;) And the more you do it the more you will refine you process, a bottle tree to suspend clean and sanitised bottles on for example is a great time and effort saver, ( i keep meaning to get one every time i bottle hehe)..

Personal preference is for bottles though I occasionally use a pressure barrel. Got a good barrel now (Wilko) but in the past have experienced too many problems with cheap barrels - leaking caps, taps and last 2 barrels both split.
But as for chilling beer. I may be a bit odd but in summer when my storeroom is too warm I just use a couple of ice cubes to cool the beer a bit. Much nicer than refrigerated beer that just kills the taste.

Latest posts

Back