Stuck ferment on Coopers European Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutznutz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope someone can give me advice.

Started the Coopers European Lager Kit on the 28th Dec, so 11 days in the making!!!

The OG was 1.040 and the gravity on the 9th day was 1.018 unfortunately on the 11th it is still 1.018.

Kit With original yeast and 1kg Coopers Beer Enhancer 2

I pitched at 20c and let it drop over 4-5 hours to 15c and has been running at 14.8c-15c ever since.

Anyone got any advice?
Should I up the temp? Add new yeast?

What temp do they say to ferment at? Is it clear? I would give it a good stir to put the yeast back into suspension. I would also but it somewhere warm.
The beer is quite clear

and Instructions say:
"- Preferred brewing temperature is at the low end of the recommended range (ie 21°c) Coopers European Lager yeast can ferment as low as 13°c."

People on this site often run between 15-18 for this kit so thought id go for the slow 15 and give it time as this kit is supposedly better with time.

is stirring a good idea? (thought that was a no-no) and will it just effect the length of time in the primary?!

How much yeast came with the kit? At 14C it's probably best to pitch doubele the usual ale amount
Sorry MyQul dont know how much yeast is in one of the sachets, just used the sachet.

do you think i'll have enough yeast? or has the yeast gone into hibernation?
and will upping the temp to 19-21 kick it back into gear?

Also if I added yeast, would I just ignore the original yeast (Temps/etc...) and go for the temp range for the new yeast?!

Sorry MyQul dont know how much yeast is in one of the sachets, just used the sachet.

do you think i'll have enough yeast? or has the yeast gone into hibernation?
and will upping the temp to 19-21 kick it back into gear?

If you've had the FV at 15C It would have been a good idea to pitch more yeast than normal for ale as at cool temps yeast ferments much slower. Give it a gentle rouse and up the temp to 18C or a bit higher and it hopefully should get going again

Are you sure it's stuck? I usually ferment this one low around 13C as it's a lager yeast, it goes much slower than a normal ale yeast and mine usually takes 3 weeks to ferment out, so I wouldn't be worried about it 11 days in. Try leaving it a bit longer. I usually warm mine up in the last 5 days or so.

I think it's stuck, just down to the 2 readings of 1.018 which were 2 days apart.
I'll take another reading tomorrow and see if it's moved.
What do usually up the temp to? An extra 2-3c?

Are you sure it's stuck? I usually ferment this one low around 13C as it's a lager yeast, it goes much slower than a normal ale yeast and mine usually takes 3 weeks to ferment out, so I wouldn't be worried about it 11 days in. Try leaving it a bit longer. I usually warm mine up in the last 5 days or so.
Happy Days...
Looks like your right Darrellm, checked again tonight and it's now reading 1.016, so looks like I'm gonna be waiting a bit longer

Latest posts

Back