Fisherman Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Fisherman Stout

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (Over shot the target and got OG of 1052)
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 35.8 (EBC): 70.5
Bitterness (IBU): 35.8 (Average)

1.672 kg Maris Otter Malt (79.96%)
0.125 kg Roasted Barley (5.98%)
0.084 kg Caramalt (4.02%)
0.084 kg Crystal 240 EBC Dark (4.02%)
0.063 kg Chocolate, Pale (3.01%)
0.063 kg Special-B (3.01%)

12.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes

Mashed at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 18-20°C with Safale US-05

(This isn't my recipe it's Clibit's from his Clibit Brewday thread)

Ok I had a first taste of this a couple of days ago and I can seriously recommend this recipe, it's a beautiful, smooth stout. Really drinkable, great malt flavours, the Special B adds some nice variety. If you're looking for a new stout recipe, give this one a go.

Just drinking one of these now. What a great recipe. Only thing I did differently was use CML pale yeast instead of US-05. I like how the recipe layers the different flavours from the different levels of kilning. If a more characterful yeast were used, it would get muddled and be too much, but the clean yeast steps aside to really showcase the malt. Kind of reminds me of Dogma from BrewDog, but sessionable. Nom nom nom. I think I'll crack another one open.
:beer1:

Hi all
done 2 of these now both taste beautiful and pour with a good head but my problem is the head dissipates to nothing after about 5 minuets both batches 10L &15L have had 100g flaked barley just opened one tonight after 1 month in the bottle but still flat after 5 mins in the glass any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong Ta

Did this recipe recently and have almost finished force carbing and conditioning it.
I mashed mine lower at 64-65 as I didn't want a heavy stout this time (my last one was far too sweet) and got it down to 1.008.

I've had a few "tasters" over the weekend, and it's a delicious recipe. I'm liking it on the drier side in this heat, very refreshing.
I had a Budvar dark lager at my local on Saturday, and actually thought they were very similar.

I've been wanting to have a good porter/stout base with which I can experiment with, and this may be the one.

Hi all
done 2 of these now both taste beautiful and pour with a good head but my problem is the head dissipates to nothing after about 5 minuets both batches 10L &15L have had 100g flaked barley just opened one tonight after 1 month in the bottle but still flat after 5 mins in the glass any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong Ta

Carapils for good head retention and body, check your carbonation, if all else fails give it a squirt with a syringe.:beer1:

IMG_20190627_193658.jpg
for head retention try flaked barley...

Hi all
If you use a dishwasher, try rinse your beerglasses manually afterwards, might just be residual washingliquid inhibiting foamformation. Or wash your glasses by hand and rinse them well in lukewarm water.

Latest posts

Back