Burco Cygnet 30L Boiler.... thoughts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Anyone used these for their brews? They are very reasonably priced... But I'm concerned that on the description they claim to have a temperature range of 0-98c. Wort, with it's sugar content normally gets to a rolling boil above 100c.. so are these capable of boiling wort?

Cheers

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58412&page=1

Found this... but still interested in additional thoughts if you guys have any?

I read conflicting reviews.. some people saying they can't get a rolling boil and some saying that it's too rough and boils like a devil.

I have an Inkbird STC-308 which is new in the box not being used... If I used it with the boiler, would it help?

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58412&page=1

Found this... but still interested in additional thoughts if you guys have any?

I read conflicting reviews.. some people saying they can't get a rolling boil and some saying that it's too rough and boils like a devil.

I have an Inkbird STC-308 which is new in the box not being used... If I used it with the boiler, would it help?

Hi!
The temp. sensor will need to be immersed in the boiling wort - is it rated to 100°C?
Have you considered a 40 litre Buffalo? https://www.catering-appliance.com/...DckCDNdIOSrRc8ebybla9mGJu6Pcb3uUaAnDsEALw_wcB

The Buffalo is the other boiler on the other post I saw, and the general reviews were that it wasn't very good. Poor quality and more expensive... That said, the extra capacity sounds like it's going to be a life saver.

For the sake of £95 I think I'll take a chance on the Buffalo 40L. But I won't hit the button until after the weekend to give you guys the chance to talk me into / out of it.

I have the 30l Burco cygnet and no issues getting a rolling boil and not cutting out.That impressed I may invest in another at some stage.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

For the sake of ��£95 I think I'll take a chance on the Buffalo 40L. But I won't hit the button until after the weekend to give you guys the chance to talk me into / out of it.

Hi!
A member has a 40 litre boiler for sale ��£70 collection, ��£78 shipped. It's boxed and unused.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74391
I sent him a PM - it's still for sale.

My 30 litre Burco boils perfectly. I just wish it was slightly bigger. A 40 litre boiler would be perfect for 20 litre brews.

Hi!
A member has a 40 litre boiler for sale ���£70 collection, ���£78 shipped. It's boxed and unused.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74391
I sent him a PM - it's still for sale.

I saw this on the for sale section. Problem is I have ZERO faith in couriers. I just recently purchased a boiler from a member, and was really keen to get brewing with it.. to find out the courier delivered a day late and in more then many pieces! So I've ended up with junk fit for the bin. Not the members fault! I lost £2000 worth of computer servers once because the courier decided to use them to test the law of gravity!

The 40L is £95 on amazon, and if it comes damaged it's their problem not mine. Can't be dealing with anymore risk taking :( Which is a shame, because I'd love to deal with members.

I have a 30l buffalo boiler that I only have used twice as it was too big for my 9l batches. It worked without tampering with the thermal cutoff on the first go but on the second it cut out a couple of times. I didn't want to fiddle with the wiring so if you're interested and close to South London let me know and I would happily sell. I've been holding onto it just in case I needed to brew a large batch but doesn't make sense.

By my measurements the Burco holds 26 litres to the maximum fill line and 30 litres to the very top. So it is tight for a full volume boil.

Last edited:
Have you seen the ACE mash tun boilers on eBay? Ok you won't get a huge brew out of one, but they do the job at a good price. I used mine for the first time recently and got 23 litres into FV with sparging and dilution (my OG was well over target..). The bonus is they come with a BIAB bag, false bottom and hop filter. If you do, don't for get to buy a short length of cured silicone hose to get the (once cooled) beer into your FV, oh and to consider if/how you are going to chill your wort (no chill, immersion...).

Yes they use a courier, DPD though who I find are usually excellent.

They reach a rolling boil with ease.

AdeDunn, and all.was going for buffalo,would need new tap,steeping bag and false bottom.GOT THE ACE BOILER.
ordered 6 grain kits,and found i need to step mash.work,s well.glad i didn,t buy the ace brewer.if needed will buy
a second boiler for 40l brew day.it,s good to go,and no bell,s and whistles.

Can peeps confirm that this would be suitable ~ it seems a bit cheaper than the other 30L Cygnets and within my Christmas present budget from the Mrs. :)

Also, I've seen people making reference to changing the tap ~ why is this, and what taps are suitable?

Can peeps confirm that this would be suitable ~ it seems a bit cheaper than the other 30L Cygnets

Hi!
That's a bargain!
If it's not genuine, there is a member selling a 30 litre Buffalo for �£78, delivered.
Most members want to fit a ball valve but the hole for the tap is not circular, so it's going to be a bodge it job.
I added a ball valve to my tea urn HLT but left the original tap in place.

My thoughts after using the ace 30l and the buffalo 40l. If you want to brew 23/25l batches without stressing and your using loads of hops the 30l version is a bit small. Now i have 2 i mash in the smaller one and boil in the larger. 35l or wort gives enough headspace to not worry about a boilover. Both great value for money in my opinion.

Back