Freezing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
It seems to be accepted wisdom that you can freeze bread dough without killing the yeast.
Has anyone tried it with brewing yeasts?
Seems like it might be a good option for those using specific strains.

I have frozen a few starters before (accidentally) and some of the yeast will survive. Though i would not recommend pitching it without making a starter. Last time i tried it i had no activity after 24 hours so pitched fresh yeast. Have heard of frozen dried yeast lasting 10 years.

I made a batch of cider this year with some love brewing champagne yeast that had been opened, resealed, and left in the fridge for a year. seemed to ferment just as fast as my other batches, not tasted it yet.

Swmbo put all my stock of dried yeast in the freezer without my knowledge, "because I put the hops in there". :doh: However after much moaning from me, there didn't seem to be any ill effects. I have now used all of it with no problems, although I have told her if it happens again I'll have to buy lots more. :wink:

It's fine to store dry yeast in the freezer as it comes, liquid yeast however, as bigcol says, needs a bit of work to make it freezer safe.

Interesting.
I was thinking of using glycerine to help guard against ice crystals and the article backs up the idea.
I already have the test tubes so I may give it a shot.

Back