Micro pubs.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just putting up the micropub association definition, its not definitive and most that I know seem to be in old shops or small premises etc.I think they appeal to real ale drinkers and if for arguments sake you wanted to sell kegged lager there is no reason you couldn't but you'd be hard pushed to get it at a competitive price given the volume you'd sell.

Years ago in the days of limited opening times there was a guy near where I worked who had beer in his house, which he opened up after closing time. To get round the licensing laws he just charged an admission fee and you got free tokens for beer. I am not sure it was strictly legal but he never gor raided.

The new pub by me may be described as a micro pub, it's tiny. No casks, generic ****. Jukebox, darts and tv on the wall. I can't stand the place.

I live in surrey and there is a micro pub in Dorking.Does a lot of the local brews, originaly an off licence,still is part offy and part micro pub. Very small but a great little place:thumb:

Spoilt for choice here in Beertown,theres loads of them,and still more opening up.Just goes to show how popular proper ale is.Everytime i go in one i sit and stare thinking,i could easily do this,even tho i aint touched a beer in 6 weeks,im getting withdrawal symptoms.

[30 years ago] Used to drink in a country farm house, the old fellow converted his living room and served beer through a hatch from his kitchen. Nice big room with a fire and room for about a dozen or so people, it was always full.

Reminds me of a place I went to a few times when I lived on Anglesey (about 40 years ago). As I recall it was run by 2 sisters (both getting on more than a bit!), and was basically furnished with a few old chairs & 3 piece suites. If memory serves, the beer was served from barrels chocked on their sides, via a jug! More than basic, but a really great atmosphere! :)

Reminds me of a place I went to a few times when I lived on Anglesey (about 40 years ago). As I recall it was run by 2 sisters (both getting on more than a bit!), and was basically furnished with a few old chairs & 3 piece suites. If memory serves, the beer was served from barrels chocked on their sides, via a jug! More than basic, but a really great atmosphere! :)
Two sisters? Were they the ones with an old still somewhere producing papa's recipe?

My local micro pub is the Cow & Cask in Newbury. I've only been in there twice but enjoyed both times.
Lots of good cask ales and board games everywhere.
Me the misses and brother in law spent two hours in there playing dominos and sippin beers:grin:

This opened for us last year and it's cracking.

http://brewyork.co.uk/

They are a microbrewery with a small taproom. Good beer, a log burner, excellent snacks, a pub dog, no tv, no loud music and your sat next to the fermenters that your beer was made in.

The place was set up by two local home brewers.

They also ha e a homebrew club which I'm going to join this year hopefully. :thumb:

Got two in Folkestone where I live and another two on the outskirts. Great places to go. Both in town have no music, just creating a friendly atmosphere to chat in.

My favourite has a rule that if any mobile goes off a 'fine' has to be paid to the charity box. The landlord even allows you out the back to try each beer before you buy. £3 to £3.50 a pint!

I live in surrey and there is a micro pub in Dorking.Does a lot of the local brews, originaly an off licence,still is part offy and part micro pub. Very small but a great little place:thumb:

ciders/scrumpy's aswell as I hope :whistle:

There's 3 in our small town of Billingham with a 4th planned. Middlesbrough and Stockton have a fair number too.

Latest posts

Back