I knew you'd get me one day.. I tried to resist .. Honest ;)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers for the replies everyone..

this one made me smile..from Pawlo7671

yeah I always do things back to front.. I'm a bit special (plus I still can't do that right either :D )

so I have read everything, and looked at the link from chippy_tea which was awesome, just to make sure I've understood correctly (as stated above I'm a bit special :) )...

- I don't need an airlock
- I don't need a hydrometer
- I shouldn't use normal sugar

SO

- Do I close the lid and make sure its tight shut so nothing can get in or out or place it on the top so it can breath and not explode if I'm not using an airlock?
- I guess I don't need an hydrometer but you all recommend I get one anyway? (to be honest there is no point me asking that, I'm gonna just get one, there are cheap enough)
- So I can nip in wilko (I might as well go there I walk past it everyday on my way to work.. I'm miles away from an home brew shop) and buy some brewing sugar?

I've seen people also add brew enhancer... is this something I should buy too or don't I really need it just yet.
Hydrometer you'll get one eventually.
Brewing enhancer not necessary, just brew your kit as is.
After you pitch your yeast snap the lid until it starts which could be anything up to 48hrs but keep checking and you'll know when it does.
You could also keep it loosely fitted an mighty wrap some clingfilm around to seal and this will give you an indication of CO2 activity.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I clip the top down on the fermenter and then loosen an inch or two. Don't keep lifting the top up to see if anything is happening. After a couple of days you will see a krausen forming by looking through the side or through the lid.

Buy a hydrometer...you know you'll get one sometime!

If you are going to Wilkos, you can buy brewing sugar, brewing enhancer and dried malt extract. For a lager, I would use enhancer or a 50:50 mix of brewing sugar and dried extract. You can replace quantities on a like for like basis. 1kg of enhancer for 1kg of sugar etc

still not 100% sure I know what do with lid :( (sorry for being dumb)

You could also keep it loosely fitted an mighty wrap some clingfilm around to seal and this will give you an indication of CO2 activity.

is that cling film around the top of bucket or around the whole bucket to stop it blowing off? what will that do? I assume it's good because it won't let anything get in ? and I guess it gives it a little bit of room to expand if need be??

I clip the top down on the fermenter and then loosen an inch or two.

so fasten it down fully nice and tight then take it off again? not sure how to loosen an inch or 2 :( DOH!! .. is it just to just say loosen a little bit from one side or something like that?

It sounds easier to make an hole and get a air lock and fit top on nice and tight, or am I a totally misguided fool and I'm gonna give myself a lot more problems trying a crazy stunt like that :)

as I said above .. sorry for being dumb :(

Just loosen one side a little bit so that all the lid except for about an inch is clipped down. A bit like the microwave meals in the plastic containers where you have to loosen the lid on one side of the container before zapping.

Yep. Don't feel stupid, we've all been there. Numerous times I've read things on here but it hasn't actually clicked until I've been halfway through the process and realised 'Oh! That's what they meant'

Latest posts

Back