Conical or not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still on the fence here with conical too. Great thread!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Similar to me. I have a 7 gal SS Brewbucket but I was finding I was losing quite a bit of wort from the blow-off as there was not enough space between the top of the wort and the lid. Because of this, the ability to do bigger brews and being able to ferment during the summer months, I've recently got myself a 14 gal Brewmaster Chronical, Maxi 210 cooler and Inkbird 308. I couldn't fit a brew fridge in the kitchen so this has worked as a better option for me.

How much wort were you putting in ? Its between SS and brew builders FV's for me atm, they work out at a similar price but brew builders is bigger.

I'm aiming to get 19L out to fill a corney and usually get 21 to 22L in the FV, is this going to cause me problems with head space in the SS FV ?

:)

How much wort were you putting in ? Its between SS and brew builders FV's for me atm, they work out at a similar price but brew builders is bigger.

I'm aiming to get 19L out to fill a corney and usually get 21 to 22L in the FV, is this going to cause me problems with head space in the SS FV ?

:)

The SS Brewbucket is 7 US gallons or 30L to the rim. My wort comes out around 25L out of the Grainfather. There was only about an inch or so between the wort and the lid, hence the blow-off. When I use a Cornelius keg, I bottle the extra.

Finally made a decision

09c130a5108ab450881ee09f2d9cf849.jpg

f1fd069de794a9b126fbf952116b4122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Its the 8 Gal, i'll never make more than a standard batch up and it'll fit in my new fermenter fridge :thumb:

Paid a little extra for the butterfly valves, they are lovely ! :mrgreen:

Looks good. I've got the non-conical SS Brewtech Brewmaster bucket which I'm pleased with. Cleaning it is a piece of cake.:thumb:

Its the 8 Gal, i'll never make more than a standard batch up and it'll fit in my new fermenter fridge :thumb:

Paid a little extra for the butterfly valves, they are lovely ! :mrgreen:
Lovely! But I'm going to put a damper on all this "shiny conical" appreciation:

It remains lovely and shiny only as long as it isn't struck by a WIBNI. My "wouldn't-it-be-nice-if" was temperature management and you can see what it has done to my fermenter (actually, this is work in progress; there is even more 12mm black neoprene insulation to fit and I'll need some way of protecting the neoprene from abrasion). Your "shiny" will get struck even quicker as it get hidden away in a fridge.

There's 42L of "Dead Pony Club" clone in there stopping me getting on with the job. For anyone interested this is currently being held at 16C in 20-22C ambient by five loops of 10mm ID pvc pipe fed from the python output of a shelf chiller (like a Maxi 310). There is an ITC-308 controlling to +0.3C -0.0C and it comes on about 10 minutes every two hours.

20170726_143648.jpg

Not got that issue, not fussed about it being in the fridge. Currently sat at a steady 18 degree's ready for ramping up now to 22 :D

Dropped my first trub after 24 hours too, great to get it out my beer.

2017-07-23 18.43.55.jpg

2017-07-24 20.45.19.jpg

Back