Re: Willco's hoppy copper.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kicked this off. ..tin plus 2 x 1.5kg liquid malt EKG boil for 5 minutes and centennial steep...house smells like a brewery! Gravity...1060....oops!
..crawlin juice....

Cheers

Clint

My house smelled like that once,i think the windows are still open and im still brewing every time swmbo goes shopping

....got the kit for £6...the malt for £6.60 each from malt miller plus yeast and hops..so probably about the same.

Cheers

Clint

Hello all,
picked up one of these kits earlier for £6 as it had no yeast with it....any more suggestions to improve it? I was thinking 1.5kg lme and hop tea bag later on. Not used the hops so open to suggestions!

cheers

Clint

just think that yeast thief could be on this forum. shame on you if Ur reading this. I hope the bag had a small undetected tear in it!

The kit was hopped with EKG 5 min boil and a centennial steep both 25g. I've got these as well as cascade,citra and saaz..

Cheers

Clint
Given it's already got some late addition hop oomph, I would use either 40g Cascade to go with the Centennial as they seem to work well together, or 40g EKG to keep with the original kit style. Not used Citra or Saaz so can't really go there.

Picked one of these up in the Wilko sale. Reading the reviews, this didn't sound promising, so I decided it'd need a decent tweak and I had some things to use up.

- Brewed it to 20L
- With 1kg of (very old and stuck together) Brew Enhancer.
- Also did a mini-mash of 500g Maris Otter and 150g Crystal Malt

Had some Brewers Gold to use up, old 100g vacuum sealed packet that I'd forgotten why I'd bought it, so used the lot. Did a shortish boil to add a little more bitterness to the kit, but most of the hopping was for flavour.

20.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
20.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
30.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Came out at 4.7% and a typical English bitter. And boy is it good, the additions have transformed this kit. Had a call from a mate last night saying how good it was compared to a pint of ale he'd had in the pub that night. Really impressed with this, on a par with my Extract and even some of my AG brews.

Picked one of these up in the Wilko sale. Reading the reviews, this didn't sound promising, so I decided it'd need a decent tweak and I had some things to use up.

- Brewed it to 20L
- With 1kg of (very old and stuck together) Brew Enhancer.
- Also did a mini-mash of 500g Maris Otter and 150g Crystal Malt

Had some Brewers Gold to use up, old 100g vacuum sealed packet that I'd forgotten why I'd bought it, so used the lot. Did a shortish boil to add a little more bitterness to the kit, but most of the hopping was for flavour.

20.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
20.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
30.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
30.0 g Brewers Gold Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Came out at 4.7% and a typical English bitter. And boy is it good, the additions have transformed this kit. Had a call from a mate last night saying how good it was compared to a pint of ale he'd had in the pub that night. Really impressed with this, on a par with my Extract and even some of my AG brews.
Sounds a good experiment/brew.
Did a H.Copper as one of my first kits with added spray malt and hops and it was actually quite reasonable.On it's own though i would thinki it rather bland!.

I remember adding some cold steeped crystal with this kit, and some rarely used Ella hops.
I still remember his being an amazing beer last summer with these additions.
Shame Ella is a pricey hop,. But I've noticed on good old eBay some place doin 100g for just 4 quid!

Latest posts

Back