Kenridge Classic Nebbiolo 30 bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be worried about the gap you really only need to worry about that when bulk aging for months

As for degassing they tell you to do it with a spoon several times a day for 4 days etc as most people don't own a drill degassing tool.

With the drill tool you dont have to degas for days just degas once and when your happy that it's thoroughly degassed then stop.

Vacuum degassing is far quicker and far better.
As you already own a glass carboy I will highly recommended purchasing either a vacuvin wine saver tool to vacuum degas your wine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005U2FA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or even better a brake bleeding tool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHXRBWI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Something to look into id recommend watching some youtube videos if your interested

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 22

Chitosan added. Potassium Sorbate left out as suggested

Question time again guys -

Will now leave this for the suggested 6 days to clear before filtering / bottling etc
Reading ahead it states to add 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulphate before bottling and after filtering if I want to keep it in bottles longer than 6 months. They do not supply this so -

Knowing my Campdens are Sodium metabisulphate and after some googling I remain puzzled.

I appreciate that the NA or K Suplhate will do the same job but there appear to be so many diffeent opinions on how much of each is equivalent if that makes sense? My Campdens state 1 per gallon so are 5 of these really equivalent to 1/4 tsp of Potassium MBS powder and should I be filtering on to as many as 5 of these? Seems wrong to me.

Yes I could go and buy some potassium MBS but it would be nice to know what is recommended.

Thank you

How come you left the Sorbate out?
The Sorbate Sachet would have contained the metabisulphate needed, if you didn't want the Sorbate and have so far not put any MBS in then go ahead and rack onto 5 crushed Campden tablets, I always Dissolve my sulfites and MBS in a little water for easier mixing

How come you left the Sorbate out?
The Sorbate Sachet would have contained the metabisulphate needed, if you didn't want the Sorbate and have so far not put any MBS in then go ahead and rack onto 5 crushed Campden tablets, I always Dissolve my sulfites and MBS in a little water for easier mixing

Mikey, the instructions say leave out unless adding sweetners which I am not. Online vids say leave out too or rather, not necessary but add if you want more chemicals in it.

It is in day 2 of the 6 day fining period.

So you reckon 5 Campdens crushed and dissolved in a little wine is Ok? Instructions indicate do this after fining and after filtering and just before bottling!

Sounds good to me. Don't worry about Campden tablets, when you make a wine from fruit you add them before fermentation, once fermentation has completed and before bottling so I really wouldn't worry about adding them once.

Not worried about adding them once. What concerns me is the quantity. Yes the Campdens say add one per gallon but I suppose I am trying to get my head around how this is equivalent to 1/4 tsp of potassium MBS

Have emailed Kenridge but needless to say that chocolate teapot syndrome has kicked in!

Oh then that should be simply that the tablets are not 100% MBS, tablets are normally made with fillers to make strong substances easier to measure and binders if needed to keep the pill as a pill
That is the case for all pills iirc

I would suggest just drinking them before the 6 months are up :lol:

Very likely to happen but no.... wait.... the plan is to feed our habit with Wows and French trip supplies and the odd bottle of the kenridge yet get another high range kit on the go as soon as I bottle this one. Maybe a chance of a supply and demand overlap that MAY result in the option of letting some of the bottles go longer than 6 months. :)

Good stuff, going same route myself. Playing with 5L WoWs while trying 7.5L then 10L and perhaps then 13L Kits
Wine tax in Ireland is out of control so even at a fiver per bottle it is still a bargain.

Might try a lager kit next - seems to be the same except you add sugar before bottling.

Day 27

Preparing to rack , filter and bottle this tomorrow. have taken a sample which looks pretty clear in the glass and tastes pretty good to me despite having a bit of a cold which does not help the process!

One concern at this stage - after degassing etc the wine in the FV looked 'flat' with a completely uniform plain surface ( if that makes sense ). Since adding the Chitosan and stirring in 5 days ago the surface now looks like it has a slightly oily film on it and a few specks of something! I drew the sample from mid layers for obvious reasons but this oiliness concerns me a bit. Any ideas?

I am going to filter this before bottling anyway but wondered what the surface stuff could be and is it normal at this stage with one of these kits?

Cheers

Day 28

Bit disappointed on the lack of response to above question but , hey ho, cracked on today and bottled after filtering. Dropped it onto 5 campden tabs crushed despite no response from suppliers etc as to whether this is good or bad.

Managed to get 27 bottles and another 3/4 that will have to be disposed of in the proper way.

Verdict thus far - very impressed. Has good taste and body even at this early stage. Not sure if it is me or has the campdens altered the taste? Mmmm. Jury out on that one. Gut feeling is that I would bypass this stage next time and take a chance on anything that goes over the supposed 6 month stage.

Sorry I couldn't help with your previous post i dont have any experience with this matter.
A quick Google and it might of been early stages of mycoderma which sulfiting should have hopefully killed.
You should really sulfite the wine soon after fermentation has finished to protect against any bacteria

Sorry I couldn't help with your previous post i dont have any experience with this matter.
A quick Google and it might of been early stages of mycoderma which sulfiting should have hopefully killed.
You should really sulfite the wine soon after fermentation has finished to protect against any bacteria

It seems ok ta. Added whatever they said to add, when they said to add it. :thumb:

Still trying to get my head around this one. It seemed to bugger it up when I filtered lnto the 5 x Campdens. Had a touch of cloud to it when it had been crystal before and a slight 'not so great' taste when it had actually tasted much better a few days before. It has been in the bottle for a few days now and I have had a couple sitting inside in the 'warm'. Just opened one and it seems to have regained the status it had before and is actually back on my approval list!

So, is it because it was dropped onton the Campdens? Do they give it a bad taste which then disappates over time? I know it is early doors with this and most of them will be given much longer in the bottle but just seeking answers to why it went from good to not so good to better again in such a short space of time.

I have read filtering can strip out flavour and there really should be no reason to do it, all my wine clears perfectly with Kwik clear or Young's clear it.

I use Campden tablets in all my wine and have never noticed a strange taste.

My 7.5L juice cellar 7 30 bottle of cab sauv smelled and tasted horrid on bottling.
2 weeks after the smell had mostly gone.
1 month later it is becoming a drinkable wine.

I'd say after 4 months it could possibly match a bought bottle of wine if it continues to improve.

Don't be worried about the gap you really only need to worry about that when bulk aging for months

As for degassing they tell you to do it with a spoon several times a day for 4 days etc as most people don't own a drill degassing tool.

With the drill tool you dont have to degas for days just degas once and when your happy that it's thoroughly degassed then stop.

Vacuum degassing is far quicker and far better.
As you already own a glass carboy I will highly recommended purchasing either a vacuvin wine saver tool to vacuum degas your wine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005U2FA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Or even better a brake bleeding tool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHXRBWI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Something to look into id recommend watching some youtube videos if your interested

Couldn't help myself. Got a cheapie bleeder. Only had one dj of ginger wine to try it on and that has been throug the stages, been fined and sat clearing for weeks as because I am not keen on it have had no inclination to bottle it but - boy did it draw some gas out of it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back