1st Grainfather brew - HBC American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find that at 2-3 months in or so some beers can lose quite a bit of there initial hop taste, I dry hop with about 50g of citra and for the first 6-10 weeks it's pretty flavourful beyond that though and it's on the wane regarding the citra hops but the underlying bitterness starts to come thru. Along with the beer developing better head retention and yeast sediment starting to stick better to the bottle it just gets better and better, the last bottle of that batch was just finished on Tuesday past which was brewed at Xmas.

You will find that at 2-3 months in or so some beers can lose quite a bit of there initial hop taste, I dry hop with about 50g of citra and for the first 6-10 weeks it's pretty flavourful beyond that though and it's on the wane regarding the citra hops but the underlying bitterness starts to come thru. Along with the beer developing better head retention and yeast sediment starting to stick better to the bottle it just gets better and better, the last bottle of that batch was just finished on Tuesday past which was brewed at Xmas.

Think you are definitely right Chewie.
I just had another bottle of the HBC American Pale, one week after my 1st sample. This is now in bottles 2 weeks carbonation and 1 week conditioning in the garage. Don't know if my palate or the beer has changed, but I liked it a lot more than last time. This is going to be an awesome brew if it keeps improving.

Maybe try a simple Single Malt and Single Hop (SMASH) pale ale next time and then grow from there, maybe adding a small amount of crystal malt for your brew the time after.

5kg of Marris Otter
100g of your favourite hop should produce a very good pale ale around 5% and is an easy recipe to put together for your first recipe.

Good advice, thanks, I'll definitely be doing this.

My favourite hop is Mosaic, and I happen to have 120g of free Mosaic pellets that YCH gave out at Hop City Beer Festival in Leeds last weekend.

What would be a good way to divide 120g of hops through the boil, hop stand and dry hopping? Thanks!

Good advice, thanks, I'll definitely be doing this.

My favourite hop is Mosaic, and I happen to have 120g of free Mosaic pellets that YCH gave out at Hop City Beer Festival in Leeds last weekend.

What would be a good way to divide 120g of hops through the boil, hop stand and dry hopping? Thanks!

Depends a little on specific Alpha Acid of your Mosaic hops, but assuming 12.5% which should be close enough ....

The following gets you to around 40 IBU's:
60 mins boil: 15g
15 mins boil: 20g
5 mins boil: 20g
0 mins steep at flameout: 20g
Dry hop 4-5 days before bottling: 45g

The following gets you to around 50 IBU's:
60 mins boil: 25g
15 mins boil: 20g
5 mins boil: 20g
0 mins steep at flameout: 20g
Dry hop 4-5 days before bottling: 35g