best yeast for a fake lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alside101

Landlord.
Reaction score
so im doing a this is lager ag clone but want to avoid using a lager yeast. i was thinking us-05. would this do or has anyone got a better sugestion

thanks Al

I've looked into this A LOT as I dont have a brew fridge. I have a brew bag where I can get temps down to about 14C/15C

Which yeast you go for depends on what temps you can get down. If you can only get down to about 18C-20C use a steam beer yeast. MJ California Lager yeast is the only dried version but of course there are liquid versions. It's quite clean and crisp but I've read steam beer yeasts have a slight fruityness to them (I cant tell as my palate isn't refined enough)

If you can get down to 14C use Nottingham. I've read it's really clean at these temps and makes for a great pseudo lager. I'll be trying this with my next pseudo lager

You can actaully use lager yeast at ale temps but their not as clean at these temps. I've never tried it as I dont want to stink my flat out with sulpher compounds

Basically the lower you can get the temp the better as whatever yeast you use will be cleaner. Except strangely enough US-05 which I've read give off peachy esters when fermented cold

why do you want to avoid using a lager yeast ???????????? Use a saf 23 lager yeast and leave it in the coldest place in your house

thanks il look into the saf 23 lager and the nottingham. just trying to get the malt and hops from the same place to save on postage

thanks il look into the saf 23 lager and the nottingham. just trying to get the malt and hops from the same place to save on postage

its actually saflager 23 a german bottom feeding yeast. An all round lager yeast, Nottingham yeast (wilko) (just used this along with the kit yeast on a Woodfords Wherry) is an ale yeast. one will make lager ,one will make lager beer with lager ingredients and ale yeast.

Nottingham @ 14c is as close as you will get without using proper lager strains.

It *must* be kept at a solid 14c though ... and if you have the equipment to be able to do that, you might as well use a proper lager strain. Yes, it takes longer, but is much better.

i did not see that. the diy dog says columbus saaz and Hersbrucker. good spot there. is hallertau mittelfrauh a good sub for Hersbrucker?

i did not see that. the diy dog says columbus saaz and Hersbrucker. good spot there. is hallertau mittelfruh a good sub for Hersbrucker?

Hallertau is a German helles lager hop and very nice indeed, Saaz is a Czech lager hop, it depends on what style your trying to do

Hallertau is a German helles lager hop and very nice indeed, Saaz is a Czech lager hop, it depends on what style your trying to do

They combine very well though both being noble hops. The pub I go to has Four Pure pils on tap which has mittelfruh and saaz in it. It's lovely. I'm going to order some mittelfuh and saaz the next time I make an order

Latest posts

Back