Bulldog Brews Bad Cat Imperial Red

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert_

Reaction score
I was just having a browse online for my next brew kit and noticed a new product from Bulldog - Bad Cat Imperial Red. Having been very impressed with the Evil Dog Double IPA, I thought that this was worth a go - especially with a stated 7.5% ABV; the Evil Dog more than made it's claimed 7.1%.

For anybody interested in ordering the same kit, it's on an introductory offer here: http://www.brewstore.co.uk//bulldog-brews-bad-cat-imperial-red-beer-kit-4528-p.asp

I shall be kicking it off on Saturday, so will upload more details and pictures then.

Rob :cheers:

Kicked this off today. Brewed to a shade over 20 litres with a corrected SG of 1070. Given that the beer I'd just taken out of the FV was also a Bulldog (Devil Dog IPA) that fermented down to 1002, I have a feeling that the cat may indeed be bad. It's a lovely deep lustrous red and smells delicious - or, in the oft-repeated opinion of the mrs, like ass.

image.jpg

Wow... that will blow your knackers off brewing short:shock:

I saw this and while initially interested by the ABV I thought it was an IPA. .. I'm not fond of ipa's you see. What kind of ale is it?

I thought I would give the strawberry pale ale a go... released the same time...

Wow... that will blow your knackers off brewing short:shock:

I saw this and while initially interested by the ABV I thought it was an IPA. .. I'm not fond of ipa's you see. What kind of ale is it?

I thought I would give the strawberry pale ale a go... released the same time...

It has the potential to hit 9% - which will be amusing to deploy at Christmas. It's a heavy-looking deep red ale - absolutely nothing like a light, clear IPA. I've only had one commercial beer that is remotely comparable which was this - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sarah-hughes-dark-ruby-mild/5113/

If it's anyting similar, than I shall be pleased. Good luck with the Strawberry Pale Ale - I'll follow the thread with interest.

New credit card billing date tomorrow... i sense a purchase or two 😃

Is it quite a heavy beer the cat? As in you're full adter 1 because it's so heavy???

Oh no it doesn't appear that dense - it's not Guinness-weighty. I look forward to being able to give a more accurate answer after tasting! It's going to be 3 long weeks waiting in the primary before the sample tube taster :-(

Day 9. Apparently it's ready for the hop tea bags. I think it's going to be much like the Evil Dog and require a full 3 weeks in the FV. Still smells like feet.

image.jpg

Ha ha... patience my friend im sure it will get better... although if it doesnt then thank you for helping me dodge this one

I really hope so, as it still isn't smelling nice today. It smells of Iodoform.

I just took a gravity reading and, on day 11, it's at 1006. So approximately 8.3%. Seems fairly watery, not what I was expecting. Also not very red. At all.

I very nearly got this from my LHBS on Saturday but I swerved at the last minute out of worry that it wouldn't be that great. Please keep these updates coming. Have you had a sample yet?

I very nearly got this from my LHBS on Saturday but I swerved at the last minute out of worry that it wouldn't be that great. Please keep these updates coming. Have you had a sample yet?

The sample that I took this morning will be going down the hatch in about 4 hours time. I'll provide a comprehensive review of the kit :thumb:

Bit of a side ways question - how did you go about your setup with the temperature probe inside the FV?

That's an aquarium heater. I drilled a hole that was the exact circumference of the wire, took the plug off the heater, poked the wire through the hole, reattached plug, stuck some sealant round the outside of the vessel where the wire goes in, and that's about it. Now I brew everything at 24 degrees exactly.

Latest posts

Back