It's a funny thing this yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a lager in the brew fridge for around eight weeks now and it's still bubbling away quite happily.. at 4c?? :wha:

I thought lowering the temperature would have made the yeast dormant. I wish it'd hurry up though as I'm quite thirsty! :whistle:

Lowering the temperature only slows down the fermentation process; which is why raw meat kept in a fridge has a Best Before date that is usually measured in days.

Brewing a beer at such low temperatures is called "Lagering", hence the product is called Lager ... :thumb:

... and the fermentation can take so many weeks that you may die of thirst before it's ready to drink. :whistle:

The good news is that the end product is potentially a very crisp and delightful tasting beer that is well worth waiting for. :thumb: :thumb:

So, be patient and enjoy the lager; in a few weeks time!

PS

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Just noticed how long you've been on the Forum! Presume I'm teaching Granny (or in this case Grandad) how to suck eggs!

I've had a lager in the brew fridge for around eight weeks now and it's still bubbling away quite happily.. at 4c?? :wha:

I thought lowering the temperature would have made the yeast dormant. I wish it'd hurry up though as I'm quite thirsty! :whistle:

Lagering/cold condtioning temps are about 2C so I drop the temp a couple of degrees

Lowering the temperature only slows down the fermentation process; which is why raw meat kept in a fridge has a Best Before date that is usually measured in days.

Brewing a beer at such low temperatures is called "Lagering", hence the product is called Lager ... :thumb:

... and the fermentation can take so many weeks that you may die of thirst before it's ready to drink. :whistle:

The good news is that the end product is potentially a very crisp and delightful tasting beer that is well worth waiting for. :thumb: :thumb:

So, be patient and enjoy the lager; in a few weeks time!

PS

Just noticed how long you've been on the Forum! Presume I'm teaching Granny (or in this case Grandad) how to suck eggs!

I think you re a little confused.
All high protein food will have a "Use By" date and should be used by this date.
Low risk food will have a "Best Before" date. This is to say that this food is at its best before the stated day

I think you re a little confused.
All high protein food will have a "Use By" date and should be used by this date.
Low risk food will have a "Best Before" date. This is to say that this food is at its best before the stated day

I'm pretty sure everyone knew what I meant so more "can't be bothered" than "confused". :mrgreen:

How soon after brewing did you drop to to 4 degrees? I usally stick at 12 degrees for two weeks and decant then drop to 3 or degrees. Anyone else the same?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Have you tested the SG and tasted a sample?

Apparantly the cold temperature (Before you start Largering) is only necessary for the first 2/3rds of the fermentation to suppress ester formation. Many brewers increase the beer to ale fermentation temperatures for the last few days to remove dyactyl.

You could take a sample and see how close it is to what you expect. If it still has a way to go you could increase the temperature to finish it out. This will also help clean the beer up.

If you are well below and it has a funny taste, it may not be the yeast that is causing the bubbling.

Paul

In German a Lager beer is called a "Lagerbier" not a "Lagernbier" ... :whistle:

... but I'm sure you are correct. :thumb: :thumb:

The beer itself (and style) is called "Lagerbier" (in a similar way to us just calling it lager) but the name is derived from the word "Lagern", . Should have made myself a little more clear :thumb:

Back