Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cracked open my first bottle and it's tasting and smelling amazing.
Going to make this again but want to make it a tad bitter, any suggestions on a bittering hop

Just hit the 2 week mark on this. Fermentation stopped a couple days ago and SG is 1.010. Cold crashed it for 24 hours in the fridge but it still looks essentially like mud. Did this ever clear up for anyone? Not tasted any yet as I cracked my wine thief but I'll probably give it another day or two and stick it in the corny keg. :)

Just hit the 2 week mark on this. Fermentation stopped a couple days ago and SG is 1.010. Cold crashed it for 24 hours in the fridge but it still looks essentially like mud. Did this ever clear up for anyone? Not tasted any yet as I cracked my wine thief but I'll probably give it another day or two and stick it in the corny keg. :)

It happened to me too - looked like a bad urine infection lol.

It was very cloudy but mine has cleared really well in the bottle after about 3 weeks. It really is a lovely brew - quite a unique flavour profile for a red ale

:thumb:

Yep, another one here Toredan! (and both of us in Worcester too!). I bottled this last SAturday, after 2.5 weeks in the FV. It was really, really cloudy going in to the swing top bottles.

The instructions were very clear to bottle from primary, rather than moving to a secondary FV (as is often my practice).

AFter 5 days in the bottle it is beginning to clear....here's hoping.

Martin

This is my Cwtch poured tonight. Not too bad consider what it went into the bottle like!

cwtch.jpg

Yep, another one here Toredan! (and both of us in Worcester too!). I bottled this last SAturday, after 2.5 weeks in the FV. It was really, really cloudy going in to the swing top bottles.

The instructions were very clear to bottle from primary, rather than moving to a secondary FV (as is often my practice).

AFter 5 days in the bottle it is beginning to clear....here's hoping.

Martin

Another from Worcester, eh? Excellent! You been down to Homebrew Dave's yet in St. John's? lovely guy, just got a load more cwtch in!

Another from Worcester, eh? Excellent! You been down to Homebrew Dave's yet in St. John's? lovely guy, just got a load more cwtch in!

Indeed, I have visited DAve's. Got several Brewferm kits from him.....

GIve it a couple of weeks, we should meet up and share a couple of Cwtch's and compare notes - I'm in Barboune.

Cheers

Martin

Looks mystical!!!
I dont know if im impressed or scared 😉

lol - I put it in front of the lamp so you can see the clarity of it when the cloudiness eventually settles.

But on that note, I wonder what it would look like if I put a lump of dry ice into it - it is nearly Halloween after all :lol::lol::whistle:

This is my Cwtch poured tonight. Not too bad consider what it went into the bottle like!
Looks awesome... may have to do a Cwtch Clone soon... anyone have an AG recipe?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I just tried this kit - was really easy/straightforward and smells lovely.
Have just put into a corny keg to condition (is that the right term?).

One question I had was around the FG reading (after fermenting at around 18C for 12 days). My SG sounds bang on at 1046 but the FG was 1020 which seems higher than some of the other readings. So this comes out at 3.38 % ABV which is somewhat lower than expected

Any thoughts why this might be so low? Wondering if the batch got contaminated at all when adding the second batch of hops (after 4 days at which time the gravity reading was 1023).

Cole

I just tried this kit - was really easy/straightforward and smells lovely.
Have just put into a corny keg to condition (is that the right term?).

One question I had was around the FG reading (after fermenting at around 18C for 12 days). My SG sounds bang on at 1046 but the FG was 1020 which seems higher than some of the other readings. So this comes out at 3.38 % ABV which is somewhat lower than expected

Any thoughts why this might be so low? Wondering if the batch got contaminated at all when adding the second batch of hops (after 4 days at which time the gravity reading was 1023).

Cole
Either you have not completely fermented out all the sugars or else, your hydrometer may have had some bubbles clinging to it and so artificially raise the appearance of the FG

Thanks @zippy40

Will do another reading once secondary fermentation has taken place in the Corny Keg and keep fingers crossed!

I bottled mine on Sunday and my god the aroma was fantastic it took me all my willpower not to stick my head in the bucket and chug a load down :mrgreen: I syphoned into the bottling bucket on Friday, used a straining bag on the outlet end which caught a huge load of hop debris, then I fined it as well to drop out some more, so I'm hoping to have a pretty regular sediment layer in the bottles. Can't wait to try it should be bob-on by Christmas:thumb:

I'm going to be trying this kit out for the first time in a few hour and was wondering if I should actually be adding boiling water to the initial hops as thus will cause some of the hop oils to evaporate:\

My presumption is this is just to up the alpha acids and bitterness ?

For the second lot of hops I plan to add them later in fermentation then the plan says and in water that is only luke warm then leaving in the fermenting vessel till bottling

If I treat myself to another pressure barrel or find a fix for a young's glugging barrel I will consider putting the 2nd lot of hops straight into the keg

the FG was 1020 which seems higher than some of the other readings. Any thoughts why this might be so low?

An FG of 1020 is a classic sign of a stuck brew - don't know why, but if a brew sticks it'll usually be at 1020.

Kits made by Muntons do have a reputation for sticking, Wherry is the worst. It's usually due to the miserly small yeast packet that comes with the kits, not enough for a 23L bew, can you remember how much yeast came with Cwtch? Other reasons are too low a fermenting temp.
http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/other-products/other-branded-homebrew-kits/

Hey all

Thanks for the replies. After three weeks in the corny keg come out at around 3.9%. Very smooth so more like a bitter than an ale but red, cloudy and tasty!

Will see if raising the temperature on my next brew helps kick the fermentation up a bit.

Cheers!

Cole

An FG of 1020 is a classic sign of a stuck brew - don't know why, but if a brew sticks it'll usually be at 1020.

Kits made by Muntons do have a reputation for sticking, Wherry is the worst. It's usually due to the miserly small yeast packet that comes with the kits, not enough for a 23L bew, can you remember how much yeast came with Cwtch? Other reasons are too low a fermenting temp.
http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/other-products/other-branded-homebrew-kits/
Some times isn't this due to the high OG though? I thought (according to brewers friend (1020-1025) was OG?

Not saying it is in this case just generally...

Some times isn't this due to the high OG though? I thought (according to brewers friend (1020-1025) was OG?

Not saying it is in this case just generally...

Yea if the OG was high like 1.060. But it wasn't so the attenuation is hampered.

Not sure what your last paragraph means but an OG of that figure would be a very weak beer.

Back