First TC advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
I've done a TC today for a few cider drinkers appearimg over Christmas. Only other cider ive done was a Ritchie kit which was pretty good (I probably only had 4 or 5 pints ofit)

Anyway I've had a troll through here and I can't see anybody topping up by 10 litres!
What went in was 9l AJ, 2L RGJ and 1 each of kowicz cherry and strawberry. The reason for such dilution was to get the OG to about 1.040ish as I want it quite sessionable (reckoning it'll get down to 1.000 fg)

Does this sound right or ridiculous to you guys? Main concern is lack of flavour and it being a bit 'watery'

I've got 4.5l AJ left and 1 cherry syrup so I can Chuck them if needs be.

Sounds way too much water to me, I usually add 1 ltr water to 6ltr apple and 1 lowitz, this works out OK. I think you will end up like you say too watery and flavorless.

I'm making my first TC this week and I used Roddy's spreadsheet calculator to check my numbers. There's a link somewhere on a thread from a few days ago. I think you've diluted more than you needed, you probably wanted more like 6 litres of water max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed - I did a TC recently (mulled cider) and 20l of apple juice with little more than a couple of litres of water .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I've done my TC's in the past, I used only apple juice and no water. They did come out very strong though, if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

I used @Roddy 's spreadsheet (excellent job by the way and thanks for sharing!)

All the numbers match pretty which what I'd been getting. Still doesn't get me past the fact that I likely have 25 litres of flavourless watery cider.

How do commercial ciders get to the 4% Mark then? Is it that these ciders are also flavourless and watery? I'm not much of a cider drinker.

And do TC's by their nature have to be up in the 6/7% to taste decent?

Back