Bottling tips - Newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvb

Reaction score
Hi

I've done 5 or 6 brews using a primary only, bottling using a bottling wand which has a pump action.

It seems quite messy, often stirring up sediment etc. So I was wondering, how do you safely transfer from the primary to a bottling bucket? And how do you make a bottling bucket?

Overall what's the best way to bottle that is quick, efficient, and clean?

Thanks

Hi pal, I personally don't use a bottling bucket but I know others do.
I have the same syphon and so I use two things to stop the sediment getting swirled around.
1) A mesh bag around the end of the syphon (bottom end.) This won't help if you really swirl it up but stops any flecks getting in which the bare syphon almost always does.

2) A clamp. I carefully lower the bottom of the syphon and stop it about 2" from the sediment by attaching a clamp at the top. I then do two or three slow pushes on the syphon to get the beer moving.

Everyone has a slightly different bottling method but this has ended up as my preferred way of doing it.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You could try filling the syphon first with a starsan mix.then adding carefully to the fv. Then release the starsan untill the beer runs through. At least your syphon isnt in the fv when your priming it.

I dont have an autosyphon and basically do what Yeastinfection is suggesting.

I take my length of syphon tube and hold it with one hand in a U type shape. I then fill it with starsan with a turkey baster. I then jam the racking cane (remember to put the red clip that holds the racking cane onto the FV, on) in one end and the inline tap in the other (remember to have the tap in the closed position). I then put the racking cane in the FV and then run the syphon into a bowl until all the star san has run out and the beer starts to flow. Job done. It's a lot easier to do than to describe btw

I have taps on all my buckets and bottle using 'little bottler' straight from the primary.
I bottle prime with between 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar per bottle, never had any problems.

I have taps on all my buckets and bottle using 'little bottler' straight from the primary.

Don't you find that the first few pints drawn off to be incredibly yeasty cos of all the stuff that has accumulated in the tap bore, and that the beer will naturally be cloudier towards the bottom of the FV anyway? This is why I transfer to a bottling bucket; to ensure uniformity of the beer being bottled.

Don't you find that the first few pints drawn off to be incredibly yeasty cos of all the stuff that has accumulated in the tap bore, and that the beer will naturally be cloudier towards the bottom of the FV anyway? This is why I transfer to a bottling bucket; to ensure uniformity of the beer being bottled.

It is usuall only the first one or two bottles effected, I just drink those bottles first and chuck away the last third of a bottle with the yeast in. The most I loose is 2/3 of a bottle of beer per batch, which I prefer than having to clean another FV.
It also reduces the level of oxidation a bit, although that's probably negligible really, as it is going to be primed in the bottle.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try and put a tap on my FV.

Is best practice to have one that is taken off and cleaned each time? I tend to use 10litre FV and the buckets are quite flimsy...hope the plastic takes a drill!

I have a dedicated bottling bucket with a tap and use a bottling wand. Invariably nowadays I let it ferment out, cold crash if it's dry hopped, then transfer to the BB, I'll leave it in there for any amount of time from a few days to a few weeks if I cba bottlin, all the while it's settling out remaining hops and yeast particles. When it comes to bottling it's really quite clear and I get very little sediment in the bottles

Any harm in using a sterilised sieve and funnel to help when siphoning into bottles? If you have a helper of course :lol:

Should you always prime bottles with some sugar/water?

I use an auto syphon from fv to bottling bucket;batch prime then bottle using the attached wand over the open dishwasher.
Same as this. [emoji115]

I actually use my Mash tun as my bottling bucket. Works a dream! [emoji16][emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm in the bottling bucket camp. After cold crashing the FV I'll (auto)siphon the beer to my 25L bucket which has the boiled priming sugar in it. I have a bottling wand attached to the tap with a few inches of thick silicone tubing and bottle from there. Got into a good rhythm now and I can bottle in about an hour rather than 2, the bottle tree I got for my birthday really seems to have made the process quicker / more streamlined.

If your auto syphon "sucks air" gently disassemble then look at the end of the inner tube,there is a plastic flange seal. Carefully with the end of your thumb,flare this out a bit to make it a bit wider. Wetting it helps on reassembly.

I use these on the bottom of a syphon tube to syphon the brew from the FV to the Bottling Bucket, (Soon to be the Mash Tun after the above has made me feel really stoopid!). :doh:

The "extended" filter is when I see that the trub is particularly deep as it keeps the filter just that bit away from the bottom of the FV. :thumb:

Filter.jpg

Filter+.jpg

I turned a FV into a bottling bucket with a 6 quid tap complete with bottling wand from wilkos and a 2.5 inch drill. Made it water tight with Vaseline. I disassemble after each brew and sanitise before the next.

Bottles clear in no time.

I use these on the bottom of a syphon tube to syphon the brew from the FV to the Bottling Bucket, (Soon to be the Mash Tun after the above has made me feel really stoopid!). :doh:

The "extended" filter is when I see that the trub is particularly deep as it keeps the filter just that bit away from the bottom of the FV. :thumb:

Where did you get the filter from? I've realised my big auto siphon is missing the cap on the end so it sucks directly from the bottom and hoovers up all the yeast... If I can't find the cap this looks like a good solution.

Back