Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm this has turned out perfectly, such a nice taste.

6FFB0933-C31C-4396-BAF3-BE76528BA30D.jpg

Ey up chaps. first post from a new member here.

this will be my 5th brew (all from kits) and im going to follow the instructions pretty much word for word..

after reading this entire thread, i am however a little concerned it wont be as hoppy as i would like..
would anybody recommend me adding a bit extra when dry-hopping? and if so can anybody suggest a suitable amount (roughly speaking) and variety?

or should I stick to the book and stop getting ahead of myself?

Ey up chaps. first post from a new member here.

this will be my 5th brew (all from kits) and im going to follow the instructions pretty much word for word..

after reading this entire thread, i am however a little concerned it wont be as hoppy as i would like..
would anybody recommend me adding a bit extra when dry-hopping? and if so can anybody suggest a suitable amount (roughly speaking) and variety?

or should I stick to the book and stop getting ahead of myself?

If it is your first time for this kit I would follow the instructions to the letter. I always do this first time on a kit - then you get a good impression of where the kit ranks in the scheme of things. If you start off with modifications then you don't know if it was your tinkering that messed things up or...

I have made this kit 3 times now 1st, 2nd times I followed instructions (the kit changed a bit between 1st and 2nd - different yeast mainly) but got different results - due to the yeast imo.

Am just drinking the third version. I dropped all the included hops and used 100g Citra (30g boil for 5-minutes and in FV at start and then 70g dry hopping after 10 days in primary) I swapped the yeast for Safale US-05. The results are really excellent (I like Citra), but more like 6.7% ABV then 7.1% and totally different product from previous versions.

If it is your first time for this kit I would follow the instructions to the letter. I always do this first time on a kit - then you get a good impression of where the kit ranks in the scheme of things. If you start off with modifications then you don't know if it was your tinkering that messed things up or...

I have made this kit 3 times now 1st, 2nd times I followed instructions (the kit changed a bit between 1st and 2nd - different yeast mainly) but got different results - due to the yeast imo.

Am just drinking the third version. I dropped all the included hops and used 100g Citra (30g boil for 5-minutes and in FV at start and then 70g dry hopping after 10 days in primary) I swapped the yeast for Safale US-05. The results are really excellent (I like Citra), but more like 6.7% ABV then 7.1% and totally different product from previous versions.

Yeah i did worry i was getting ahead of myself! i'll stick to the letter with it.. first time at least

Gonna start this Tuesday after having the kit many months, can't wait like a few others mine didnt come with a 25g yeast pack but a mere 11g so will add a us-05 or a CML us pale ale yeast too to get things fully fermented,

Finally started this, brewed to 23 litres , 1065 OG and it's in the porch under my new heatpad and inkbird 308 controller, will give it a couple of weeks at least.

Also used 2 packets of us pale ale yeast 22g in total

Finally started this, brewed to 23 litres , 1065 OG and it's in the porch under my new heatpad and inkbird 308 controller, will give it a couple of weeks at least.

Also used 2 packets of us pale ale yeast 22g in total

what was the 2nd yeast you used please? let us know how it goes

You can get the Bulldog kits for £19.99 at creativewinemaking. Bad Cat is also 7.5% and I prefer this to Evil Dog.

I bottled this a few weeks ago after following the instructions to the letter. I'm not an IPA fan, I made it for my son but guess what? He's not getting it all :twisted:. Lovely, lovely beer.:thumb:
I now have its red brother, Bad Cat bubbling away.

Dry hopped mine yesterday with aupplied good 25 each of summit and simcoe and I also added 25g cascade, just because , started bubbling again every 4 seconds after

Bottled it 2 days ago, manager 40 bottles before giving up for to loads of trub being pulled up. Primed each bottle with 2.5g granulated sugar. I'll report back in March when the first bottle is opened

Just brewed this up to 22L with added 150g of beer enhancer (mostly from the starter)
first time using a water bath which so far seems to be keeping it a steady 20'C :thumb:

OG: 1.066

Should be a fairly tipsy pint if it drops to predicted range :grin:

I bottled this a few weeks ago after following the instructions to the letter. I'm not an IPA fan, I made it for my son but guess what? He's not getting it all :twisted:. Lovely, lovely beer.:thumb:
I now have its red brother, Bad Cat bubbling away.

How long would you say is minimum before its drinkable,

Also nice chopper in your pic, is it yours

2 weeks in FV, 2 weeks priming and it tasted great straight away in spite of a haze below 14 deg. I had one last night for research purposes and I think the aroma has faded quite a bit, 5 weeks in total since bottling. I'll definitely add more hops next time.

I saw Easy Rider in 1970 and it hooked me on bikes since. I have a more modest cruiser.

2 weeks in FV, 2 weeks priming and it tasted great straight away in spite of a haze below 14 deg. I had one last night for research purposes and I think the aroma has faded quite a bit, 5 weeks in total since bottling. I'll definitely add more hops next time.

I saw Easy Rider in 1970 and it hooked me on bikes since. I have a more modest cruiser.

That's good news mines 11 days in priming so far, I've heard this takes months to taste ok, I added an extra 25g cascade so happy with that,

I've an old Yamaha virago chopper, love it even tho it breaks down and nearly killed me a few times

Be honest. It wasn't the bikes fault.:grin: I have finally arrived at a shadow 750 after downsizing over the last 10 years.

Don't get me wrong. I intend using this kit a lot in the future. Just had 3 and it's deffo a keeper:thumb:

Latest posts

Back