Marston old empire ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjoe

Reaction score
Just tried a bottle of Marstons old empire IPA loved the taste does anyone have a recipe close?

I like that too, I'm pretty sure that it's just Pale malt & Goldings to about 50 or 60 IBU

From the Marstons web site

Old Empire is brewed using Optic malt, a subtle and paler grain that will allow other flavours to come through on the palate. Goldings and Fuggles hops are added to this brew, which is then late hopped with the American Cascade variety for extra hop strength.

I must admit that I like old empire and I like cascade hops but I can't taste Cascade in Old Empire :wha:

Hi chaps,

sorry to pull up an old thread, but I'm looking to clone this Old Empire as i just love it in the bottle! i have little experience doing my own recipes so am looking for some major help, due to comment on here that you guys cant taste the Cascade, maybe its only used for bittering(although they dont say they do) or just mixed in with the late hops in such a small proportion that its flavour doesn't come through much?

With this in mind i came up with this 1st go at a recipe-

Recipe: Marstons Old Empire
Style: English IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 30.11 L
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 54.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.20 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (5.9 EBC) Grain 99.52 %
0.03 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1100.0 EBC) Grain 0.48 %
33.00 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hops) 24.6 IBU
33.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.60 %] (90 min) (FiHops 14.9 IBU
66.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.60 %] (10 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
33.00 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (10 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
66.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

I did do this with Fuggles but TBH i wouldn't be able to pick out the differences- i am going to do some single hop brews to acclimatise my palate! The black malt is just there to bump up the colour to fit in with Beersmith's colour guideline. Is the late Cascade hop addition likely to be noticeable through the late Goldings?

Thanks for the help guys!

Cheers

Steve

You won't clone this exactly without liquid extract hops, or tetralone.

They don't use magic to serve it in clear bottles.

If you want to up the colour take off some first runnings 3-4ltrs and boil down in a pan on the hob to reduce by about 20% then add back to the boil, or use 20% Munich malt.

I have an experimental IPA recipe in secondary at the mo, and very early tasting made me think it tasted towards old empire, but with more alcohol, too early to say properly just yet though as it needs some proper conditioning.

UP

Brewing this today-

Recipe: Marstons Old Empire

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 30.11 L
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 10.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.30 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise (5.9 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
33.00 gm Goldings [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
66.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (90 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
33.00 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (10 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
33.00 gm Goldings [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
33.00 gm Fuggles [3.90 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
54.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

Burtonising the water and mashing at 66c. using a 1.8l starter made from a slope Brewlabs sent me specialy for this brew.

Hope it goes well, mash in time- about noon!

Steve

Old thread revived.

Just had a pint of Marstons Old Empire last night and it was delicious. Big hops, fantastic foam and lacing, nearly perfect IPA. I'm going to brew myself something in that line. Anybody care to comment if the above recipes could be close enough to original?

Back