Just built an Immersion Chiller. Pretty Happy.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r-evans

Reaction score
Watched a few videos about making a DIY wort chiller, so thought I'd give it a go.

Cheapest I could find for a 10m chiller was £35 + £5.99 delivery, so £40.99.

This cost me:

Copper - £21.75 inc. delivery
Hose - £3 from my local HBS
Hose Clamps - £3 inc. delivery

Total - £27.75

The Hose quick connects I had laying around in the shed and I'm not including the £5.99 Tap Connector as I would have had to buy that for the pre-built chiller anyway. Hose clamps haven't arrived yet but it will be finished when they show up.

Pretty happy overall, didn't really intend for there to be gaps between each coil but I'm happy there is.

32247781975_27d2e1a7f6_z.jpg

31437559783_f777ea776d_z.jpg

Looks really good - This was my plan however it worked out cheaper to buy with a BIAB starter kit since I needed the boiler and related gubbins.

Very nice. I'd second the notion of getting some jubilee clips or hose connectors for it. You wouldn't want it to drip on your toes when circulating the wort as it chills or, even worse, drip into the chilled wort.

I made exactly the same thing out of exactly the same ingredients. It's fab doesn't need more coils than that to take 20l down to ferment temp in 15 or 20 minutes.

Mine had the following issue you might need to be aware of if you've used 10mm tubing, that hose attachment needs half inch internal diameter tubing to work properly. It has a little valve in it that gets stuck in the 10mm internal diameter tubing that I used, and caused mine to block up. Quickly fixed by just adding 6 inches of half inch tube as a buffer, fits nicely around the tubing I used without leaks.

I'd put a couple of jubilee clips on the hoses.

Very nice. I'd second the notion of getting some jubilee clips or hose connectors for it. You wouldn't want it to drip on your toes when circulating the wort as it chills or, even worse, drip into the chilled wort.

Yea sorry, that's what I meant by Hose Clamps, still waiting for them to arrive.

Did you bend it by hand and how long did it take you?

I have a pretty strong 5l plastic jug that I used to bend round to make a circle, took me about 15-20 mins to finish the bending, it's quite soft and easy to manipulate.

I made exactly the same thing out of exactly the same ingredients. It's fab doesn't need more coils than that to take 20l down to ferment temp in 15 or 20 minutes.

Mine had the following issue you might need to be aware of if you've used 10mm tubing, that hose attachment needs half inch internal diameter tubing to work properly. It has a little valve in it that gets stuck in the 10mm internal diameter tubing that I used, and caused mine to block up. Quickly fixed by just adding 6 inches of half inch tube as a buffer, fits nicely around the tubing I used without leaks.

Yea I noticed the tube was a little large when it arrived and I put them together, I have some half inch tube and plan to do exactly what you've said. Cheers :thumb:

Yea I noticed the tube was a little large when it arrived and I put them together, I have some half inch tube and plan to do exactly what you've said. Cheers :thumb:

All sorted now. I put 3 inch of 10mm ID tubing on the end of the copper then my half inch tube over that, pretty snug fit and took some getting on but it's on. Will use the hose clamps too just for extra seal. Should work fine.

good job I made mine the same way as you
think it cost about the same
got copper piping from b&q
the rest I had laying about in the shed

I did exactly the same, mainly cuz I'm tight, but bought the copper pipe off Amazon for about £20 and the braided hose I've always got lying around anyway.

20170413_173617.jpg

Latest posts

Back