Nectarine Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeck

Tight Ass Jock
Reaction score
I am trying my hand at some nectarine wine as I was in Asda the other night and as luck would have it they were marking down a load of fruit. I ended up with 12kg of nectarines for �£0.48. Nice :mrgreen:

10kg nectarines (stoned and cored)
5kg sugar
500ml strong tea
17ltr water
Pectic
Yeast nutrient

The aim is for 23ltr of drinkable. I have just prepared the must tonight and am waiting for the fruit to break down a bit before adding the yeast.

I'm not sure if I will enjoy this one but for the price I can chalk this up to experience.

Sounds interesting sir, keep is posted !

I haven't branched out into making wine with real actual fruit so far but tempted by the stories of cheap fruit 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A bargin! 48p for 12kg, should be nice as they would I expect they were ripe and soft. Similar to peach wine, can be nice.

Update.

I left the must for 24 hours and some of the fruit had broken down so added the yeast.

Fermentation has been explosive rather than vigorous.

I have been stirring daily as the fruit is breaking down well but creating a fairly solid layer at the top of the FV.

I should have mentioned I have only added 11.5ltr of the 17ltr of water initially due to space in the FV. I intend to top up when the fruit is removed in about a week.

I tasted tonight and so far it's quite nice. :)

Update.

Fermentation has calmed down.

There is a very strong taste (and smell) of alcohol. I am now thinking the volume of sugar is too much for this wine to produce a balanced taste.

I am considering stopping the fermentation early which should have the added benefit of retaining some of the sweetness.

Does anyone have experience of making peach or nectarine wine?

Another update.

Fermentation finished about 10 days ago and had been left to settle.

2 days ago it hadn't cleared much to took the opportunity to rack to another FV. I used the fantastic coat hanger and drill method to degas the large amount of CO2 dissolved in the wine.

The taste was a bit too stong so I added 2 ltr of taking me to 23 ltr of liquid.

I'm now very happy with the taste. Not too strong, not too weak, very nicely alcoholic. 2 cheeky trial glasses and I was babbling nicely.

I'm leaving to in the garage for a bit longer to clear further.

I added some finings to the batch a week ago and this had cleared it up quite a bit.

I bottled it up yesterday and tried a bottle tonight. The nectarine flavour has settled down and this is very drinkable. I think it would benefit from being chilled before drinking so will try that next time.

Funny, but lately I have more time for making booze than actually drinking it.

I have enough stocks to lay this down for some time to see if it improves with age.

I would definitely make this again.

Latest posts

Back