Bugger - think ive killed it!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Midweek I had a day orf, and decided it was ideal to get my bitter bottled, and to bottle my strawberry wine, which had been sat for about four days as a final clearing after being racked off onto a crushed campden tab. So far so good :thumb:

Whilst doing this, I decided that i'd also rack off my cherry and RGJ wow, which had now slowed to a bubble every 15sec or so, in order to get it off the half inch of lees,

Having racked the cherry off, I wasnt too happy about the extra headspace, so, without thinking it through, I topped it up - with a bit of the strawberry...

... and now im lucky to get a bubble through once in 5mins! :doh:

Wondering now whether to just leave it and hope it recovers, or cut my losses and clear it and quoff it!

Just leave it alone. I doubt the camden is having much effect but you've taken it off most of the yeast!

I may be missing something but why do you think you have ruined it did the juice you added have preservatives in it if not I would have thought it would be fermenting faster as you have added more sugar.

I never rack until it has finished fermenting as that's the way everyone was doing it when I joined and I have never had any off flavours caused by it sitting on the dead yeast etc.

Just leave it alone. I doubt the camden is having much effect but you've taken it off most of the yeast!

Ah, good point! I was under the impression that most of the yeast would be free-swimming rather than concentrated in any one place

did the juice you added have preservatives in it if not I would have thought it would be fermenting faster as you have added more sugar.

Topped with finished strawberry wine Chippy, not juice!

Moment of madness!

The only way to know for sure what's happening is to take a hydrometer reading over a few days.

Planning to, just as soon as I have time. Temp is low as well at 14C so that wont really help, but i cant do anything about that at the moment.

Im not overly worried, after all its a supermarket wow, it was going to be drunk pretty early anyway, so if it is stopped then oh well,

Latest posts

Back